[SOLVED] aout=mmdevice and mmdevice-volume require volume-save=0

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
LordLiverpool
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

[SOLVED] aout=mmdevice and mmdevice-volume require volume-save=0

Postby LordLiverpool » 10 Dec 2019 17:32

Hi,

After many hours of trying and failing to set the audio output (aout) to "mmdevice", and to fix the volume with "mmdevice-volume" via the command line (in VLC 3.0.8 Vetinari, Windows 10), I discovered how to get it to work. If the setting "volume-save" in vlcrc is commented (as seems to be the default), or set to "1", these command-line options are ignored. It has to be uncommented and set to 0. This doesn't happen for any other audio output device or volume setting. I imagine it's related to this ticket:

[url]https://trac.videolan.org/vlc/ticket/19664#comment:1[/url]

I'm not clear whether this behaviour is a bug or "by design".

Using mmdevice seems to fix the bug whereby the last couple of seconds of files get chopped off, so I wanted to ensure that playback always uses that device.

Rémi Denis-Courmont
Developer
Developer
VLC version: master
Operating System: Linux

Re: [SOLVED] aout=mmdevice and mmdevice-volume require volume-save=0

Postby Rémi Denis-Courmont » 10 Dec 2019 19:39

By default, the MMDevice volume is saved in Windows audio sessions database, like every other audio sessions. This is by Windows' design (starting from Vista).
Rémi Denis-Courmont
https://www.remlab.net/
Private messages soliciting support will be systematically discarded

LordLiverpool
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Re: [SOLVED] aout=mmdevice and mmdevice-volume require volume-save=0

Postby LordLiverpool » 18 Dec 2019 09:53

But might it not make sense to interpret the command line options mmdevice-volume as implicitly overriding this default? And why doesn't aout=mmdevice switch the audio output to mmdevice when volume-save is commented or set to 1?

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”