initial window size all wrong

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
bwallx
New Cone
New Cone

initial window size all wrong

Postby bwallx » 23 Oct 2019 17:01

When I double click a video, VLC opens a window that is partially off-screen and far too large for the video. I have search through advanced settings but can't see any obvious relevant setting.

Two monitor setup on single Gforce 750Ti card, latest win 10 64bit.

Lotesdelere
Cone Master
Cone Master

Re: initial window size all wrong

Postby Lotesdelere » 24 Oct 2019 12:19

Reset the preferences and try again:
https://wiki.videolan.org/VSG:ResetPrefs

bwallx
New Cone
New Cone

Postby bwallx » 24 Oct 2019 15:09

Thanks. Tried that and it works except for videos from my phone. These also have a problem with confusing apps with orientation which I've posted elsewhere so may be related. Thank you.

MikeWWW
New Cone
New Cone

Postby MikeWWW » 29 May 2020 04:35

I have this problem constantly with a single screen. Resetting preferences doesn't help. This problem exhibits on multiple different Windows laptops for me (all different makes) and from Windows 7 to Windows 10.

It's most annoying when I want to click the "Continue" button on the top, but that button is off-screen, and by the time I drag the window into view, the button is gone.
Last edited by MikeWWW on 29 May 2020 15:06, edited 1 time in total.

bwallx
New Cone
New Cone

Postby bwallx » 29 May 2020 20:47

Having not used VLC for some weeks, i reinstalled on a new desktop system. It still misbehaves, opening too large or partially off-screen!

My system is a Win10 desktop with two GPUs and three monitors, two of the monitors are mirrored. The third is my main one. However, this was not the setup previously when I first posted so can't be blamed I don't think.

I have played with the many settings in VLC but don't really know what I'm doing.

wul62
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby wul62 » 20 Nov 2020 08:49

Having not used VLC for some weeks, i reinstalled on a new desktop system. It still misbehaves, opening too large or partially off-screen!

My system is a Win10 desktop with two GPUs and three monitors, two of the monitors are mirrored. The third is my main one. However, this was not the setup previously when I first posted so can't be blamed I don't think.

I have played with the many settings in VLC but don't really know what I'm doing.
AFAIK there is no solution for this problem. It has been there for a long time.
Frankly, I am not aware of any setting that will avoid this behaviour.

Today I launched the portable version, vlc-3.0.11-win32, on a Windows system that did not have VLC installed.
It started off-screen right from the start.

After changing the Windows size and restarting, it will use the last use Windows size. That is fine.
However, loading whatever a high quality .mp4 or .mkv, VLC will automatically resize the window again.
Disabling 'All Settings'>'Video'>'Video Auto Scaling' did not help.

LATER: matter solved... see later posts.
Last edited by wul62 on 20 Nov 2020 11:38, edited 1 time in total.

Hitchhiker
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna
VLC version: 3.0.17.4
Operating System: Windows 8.1

Postby Hitchhiker » 20 Nov 2020 10:11

In prefs (opening Interface menu) remove the checkmark from "Resize video to window size". Save, exit and restart vlc.

MikeWWW
New Cone
New Cone

Postby MikeWWW » 20 Nov 2020 10:52

"Resize video to window size" is NOT checked. It has noe ffect in this behaviour.

wul62
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby wul62 » 20 Nov 2020 11:36

In prefs (opening Interface menu) remove the checkmark from "Resize video to window size". Save, exit and restart vlc.
Ah !! I should recall my previous text now...

I wasn't aware of this setting and have been looking into the 'Advanced Settings' all the time.
This "Resize Interface to video size" (main settings window), that did the trick!
Wonderful. I tried half a dozen times, indeed the size didn't change anymore.

Thank you so much!!

Hitchhiker
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna
VLC version: 3.0.17.4
Operating System: Windows 8.1

Postby Hitchhiker » 20 Nov 2020 14:24

"Resize video to window size" is NOT checked. It has noe ffect in this behaviour.

You mentioned earlier that you reset prefs, but it didn't help. However, doing so will return all values to default settings. As per screenshot the default is to have that setting enabled.

(click to enlarge)

What I suggest you do is to checkmark it and then Save, exit and restart vlc. Then remove the checkmark and save and restart again.

MikeWWW
New Cone
New Cone

Postby MikeWWW » 01 Sep 2023 05:17

Problem still exists in 3.0.18 with none of the suggestions above working any better than 3 years ago. I see from other posts that this issue has been reported for over 10 years!

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”