Open multiple files not working.

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
Stricko
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Open multiple files not working.

Postby Stricko » 14 Aug 2019 17:18

Hi there, I'm trying to play 2 (or more) video files simultaneously using the Open Multiple files option. I've set the options to allow multiple instances as suggested elsewhere.
I then go Media > Open Multiple Files, and select the first file. I tick Show More options and Play another media synchonously..... and add another file.
I press Play, and only one instance opens up. Again following suggestions elsewhere, I right click, Video > Video Track and things then get a bit wierd. Sometimes, but not everytime, I can see options for Video 1, and Video 2. But not everytime. Once, just once there were options for both files, and somehow by clicking one and then the other I ended up with multiple instances.

Does anyone have any suggestions for how to set this up so that it works consistently. Or is this a known bug?

Stricko
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Re: Open multiple files not working.

Postby Stricko » 14 Aug 2019 19:38

I thought this might be something to do with settings being overwritten. So I reset all, checked the multiple instances and tried again. First time it openned 2 instances, but the second instance didn't have anything playing in it, and changing the video track didn't do anything. Tried the whole sequence again (inc reset), and this time only one instance openned. Square one, do not pass go etc.

Reading some stuff on another board, I tried an older version (2.2.4) and under this, 2 files open and play consistently. But I couldn't get both to go to fullscreen. One instance would, the other appeared to be apart from the white bar at the top with the cone, VL and "Direct 3d output". Anyone know how to get rid of this?

Stricko
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Stricko » 16 Aug 2019 18:35

Does anyone have any idea at what release this stopped working?

j28791
New Cone
New Cone

Postby j28791 » 18 Aug 2019 16:54

Here is the issue with VLC not letting you use more than one instance as of 8/18/2019

Revert back to a previous version. Download and install the appropriate version for your system from the official VLC download page. 2.2.8 worked for me. You can stay on this version but there are security issues. When you uninstall VLC delete preferences & cache. Or select the option to delete them during the install of the old version below:

http://download.videolan.org/pub/videolan/vlc/2.2.8/win64/

After downloading and installing. Hit "Control P" or go to preferences. Uncheck "Use only one instance when started from file manager". This option is not available in 3.x.x That is the issue if I'm not mistaken. After doing so you'll see that VLC let's you play more than one instance. VLC will check for new versions on startup. Go ahead and update to the new version making sure to keep your preferences upon install!

Go to preferences again in the latest version and now uncheck "use only one instance when started from file manager". It should be there.

Took me about 10mins to figure this out. Good luck!

This is a bug and needs to be reported.

Notes for Devs:

This problem occurred when doing a clean install on a new windows 10 machine. When you upgrade from previous versions the setting for "Use only one instance when started from file manager" is available. It is not there when doing a clean install on a new machine with 3.0.7.1

Lotesdelere
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby Lotesdelere » 19 Aug 2019 12:06

Notes for Devs:

This problem occurred when doing a clean install on a new windows 10 machine. When you upgrade from previous versions the setting for "Use only one instance when started from file manager" is available. It is not there when doing a clean install on a new machine with 3.0.7.1

Nice find, thanks :)
You should create a new ticket on the VLC Trac with the link to this thread.
https://trac.videolan.org/vlc/

Stricko
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Stricko » 20 Aug 2019 21:26

Mmmm. Not working for me, or my particular issue I'm afraid.

Followed the steps as described by j28791. Bit confused by the "Go to preferences again in the latest version and now uncheck "use only one instance when started from file manager"" as the option was indeed present BUT already unchecked. So, belt and braces, I tried leaving it unchecked, and also, checking it, saving, unchecking and saving again.

The steps do definitely allow you to open 2 instances from file manager, I checked that and it works great. But, they don't fix the problem I originally posted. I'm trying to open 2 (or more) video files simultaneously using the Open Multiple files option. And unless I'm doing something really stupid (always a possibility...) that still doesn't work. I add a single file, then under "show more options" I add another file in the "Play another file synchronously..." box. Select, press Play and ...... only one file opens. As I said in my second post, this works with the older version (albeit with the Direct3d output issue) but doesn't work with (now) 3.0.8.

The whole point of my thread is that I need to start 3 videos synchronously, not just in separate windows. Sorry

PS, My testing is being done on Windows 10 Pro 64 bit, updated to 1903 and sunsequent patches. But definitely not a clean build. I've also tried it on a much cleaner machine, also at 1903.

Tomsun
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Tomsun » 28 Aug 2019 07:25

Same problem for me,
i testetd yesterday several versions. it works up to version 2.2.8 it stops working with the 3.x.x versions (tested 3.0.0, 3.0.7.1, 3.0.8)
the selection of multiple files was introduced somewhere in the 2.x.x versions (i used the 2.2.6 before the 2.2.8). The selection of multiple file also included in the versions 3.x.x but it seems not tho work (perhaps only a problem with the windows 64 bit version in win 10). Does anyone succesfully use this feature in 3.0.8 on win 10 64 bit. The selection shows no failure but only the first video is opened.

I didn't managed to start more than 2 videos simultaneously, but that would be also interesting.

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”