Please explain title encoding. It's not plain text, but it's not URL encoded either!

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
spection
Blank Cone
Blank Cone
Operating System: Windows

Please explain title encoding. It's not plain text, but it's not URL encoded either!

Postby spection » 12 Aug 2019 21:06

I've set the preferences option "Change title according to current media" to $F. I've got a tool that launches a video path with VLC then waits for a window to exist which has the correct title (or substring of the title). The problem is, the window title that appears is neither in simple plain text, nor is it fully encoded into URL format. It's some hybrid or something that I don't understand, and hence cannot match!

How do I encode the video file path into the correct VLC title format?

I need this urgently, please.

Thanks!

Rémi Denis-Courmont
Developer
Developer
VLC version: master
Operating System: Linux

Re: Please explain title encoding. It's not plain text, but it's not URL encoded either!

Postby Rémi Denis-Courmont » 13 Aug 2019 22:20

$F is just the URI.
Rémi Denis-Courmont
https://www.remlab.net/
Private messages soliciting support will be systematically discarded

Ed Edison
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Re: Please explain title encoding. It's not plain text, but it's not URL encoded either!

Postby Ed Edison » 14 Aug 2019 21:14

Hello,

I don't well understand your problem; but, when I want, in a local folder, to get:
- the video filename for a given video title,
- the video title for a given filename,
I use Folder.GetDetailsOf method (https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/win32/shell/folder-getdetailsof) with PowerShell; my friend Google will give to you many examples!

Good luck.

Ed.

spection
Blank Cone
Blank Cone
Operating System: Windows

Postby spection » 21 Aug 2019 11:15

Yes, I was confused. I definitely saw spaces in the title encoded with plus signs in some circumstance, but that wasn't VLC's fault. I've learned that I just need to encode the path into URI syntax to search window titles for it.

Thanks to all.

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”