App window size is now huge

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
tekukuno
New Cone
New Cone

App window size is now huge

Postby tekukuno » 12 Jul 2019 21:06

Suddenly, the VLC window is enlarged, too big for the monitor screen, with large font size, like it has been zoomed into. No other apps on my computer have been affected, but I checked the Windows display settings anyway, and they're normal. I reset VLC preferences using the shortcut but it did not help. I manually discarded the VLC preferences folder from the Roaming directory. The problem persists. Videos start to play very small, oddly, but even when I put them to full screen the VLC controller buttons are so big they scroll off the sides of the monitor.

sazucker
New Cone
New Cone

Re: App window size is now huge

Postby sazucker » 14 Jul 2019 04:55

I'm actually running into the same problem.

I downloaded and installed a fresh copy from the site and at first it seemed to work fine. I opened some media files from within the app and they also ran fine. As soon as I closed the app and re-opened it (either via launching a video file or just the app), the problem re-occurred.

I'm running Windows 10 on a Dell XPS 13. There are no other problems with apps resizing - just VLC.

Appreciate any advice / help on this... Tks!

tekukuno
New Cone
New Cone

Postby tekukuno » 14 Jul 2019 11:05

I encountered the identical issue with Transmission, a torrent download app. I uninstalled it. Today VLC opened properly sized, on its own. I wish I could recommend a fix for you but outside of the things I mentioned originally and uninstalling Transmission, I hadn’t taken any steps to fix the issue on VLC.

unidan
Developer
Developer

Postby unidan » 16 Jul 2019 08:31

Hi, do you have a screenshot ? What is your setup ? (screen sizes and primary screen)

tekukuno
New Cone
New Cone

Postby tekukuno » 16 Jul 2019 10:09

I do have a screenshot but could not see where to attach it to the post. Here's link to it: https://www.dropbox.com/s/76f8ucy5fz3t5qm/vlc.png?dl=0

unidan
Developer
Developer

Postby unidan » 16 Jul 2019 10:13

Perfect :) Do you have an HiDPI screen ? what is your setup ?

sazucker
New Cone
New Cone

Postby sazucker » 16 Jul 2019 17:34

Hi there,

My screen looks pretty similar. Let me know if you want me to post a similar link to dropbox.

I have a Dell XPS13 w/resolution of 3840x2160. It does scale fonts and apps to compensate for the hi-res, but has always done that (otherwise would be so small - would be unreadable... I decreased the scaling just to double check and doesn't fix the problem).

This is so strange because this issue is brand new and only VideoLan is affected.

Thanks for the help!

unidan
Developer
Developer

Postby unidan » 16 Jul 2019 18:17

Maybe others aren't using HiDPI features and are just scaled, or something is wrong with the Qt framework. I'll check if something is possible, there are quite a few topic on this here.

anderlan
New Cone
New Cone

Postby anderlan » 13 May 2020 00:48

I know this section is Windows only, I registered specifically to say I'm having the same issue in Ubuntu 18.04, because I figure that will help and a lot of folks reading have both Windows and Linux.

I have had the system attached to 4K displays, so the idea that it's a scaling setting in QT gone crazy makes sense. I have never to my knowledge turned on any HiDPI features (seems stupid to me given you can just set your display to 2K or whatever if you can't see things). However, I have stretched my VLC window across 2 HD screens in order to inspect a 4K video, so that may have given QT/VLC some crazy ideas.

This is first time I've seen the issue, but at present the 4K screen is set to normal FullHD, however total system display map is almost 2HD across, being one FullHD and one 1680x1050 screen.

I'm going to try purging VLC and reinstalling to see if that resets.

Crazy screenshot:
https://i.imgur.com/Gg9ajHh.png

BZLederman
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby BZLederman » 18 Aug 2020 20:41

I'm seeing what I believe is the same problem. I'm very surprised that this problem has been reported for so long in VLC, on various platforms, but never answered.

I have VLC set for Video Auto Scaling. On videos which are smaller than the size of my monitor, VLC sizes itself to fit the video, which is correct. For videos which are close to the size of my monitor (i.e., a 1280 x 720 pixel video on a 1920 x 1080 display, VLC sizes itself to show the entire video, and VLC fits on the screen. But if I play a 1920 x 1080 video, VLC does >> NOT <<< fit itself to the monitor: it shows the video full size, which pushes the controls below the task bar at the bottom of the screen so they can't be reached.

If I want to stop the video I either have to quit VLC, or I have to pull down the menu to "Zoom" to half size to reach the controls.

This is really very, very disappointing. As I said, it's difficult to believe that this fault has been in VLC for so many years with no
correction or suitable reply.

I've tried every combination of VLC settings I can think of, but can't fix this.

If I'm really missing something in the preferences for VLC that will tell it to never go beyond the bounds of the >> USEABLE <<< screen,
will someone please tell me exactly where it is?

If VLC really is ignoring the actual available size of the display, can we please get this fixed? It can't be too difficult, I can list dozens and dozens of other programs that run on Windows that won't hide behind the task bar. Even Microsoft's applications are able to get this right, so VLC should be able to do so as well. (I wish that was a joke, but I'm serious.)

Thanks in advance.

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”