WMV files fail to play in VLC 3.0.7

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
dariocs
New Cone
New Cone

WMV files fail to play in VLC 3.0.7

Postby dariocs » 10 Jun 2019 19:11

Hi,

Recent VLC Windows x64 versions seem to fail reproducing Windows Media Video 7 (WMV1) coded files. When trying to open the file with VLC, the yellow loading bar starts moving from one side to the other, then it fills entirely in blue, the video title appears (but no video is shown), and finally the VLC initial black screen with the traffic cone appears.

I have updated to the latest version 3.0.7, and even reinstalled the program from the scratch cleaning the cache and preferences, but the problem is still there.

I can't tell exactly since which version is this happening, but for sure 2.2.4 was playing these files correctly: I have the official 2.2.4 installation in another computer and it works flawlessly. So I have decided to get a try on an unofficial 2.2.4 portable version in my computer: it works as well.

I've playing around a lot with video editing/processing software lately, installing and uninstalling several programs, but my understanding is that VLC has its own set of codecs, so these should have not been affected by any other program. And I have reinstalled VLC from the scratch.

I've been browsing the net but couldn't find an answer on this. Any clues?

My OS is Windows 10 Pro 64 bits, with VLC 3.0.7 64 bits installed.

Thanks in advance!

albertos
New Cone
New Cone

Re: WMV files fail to play in VLC 3.0.7

Postby albertos » 11 Jun 2019 22:45

Go to tools, preferences, Video, output, open GL video output. Update is coming.

YannToberen
New Cone
New Cone

Re: WMV files fail to play in VLC 3.0.20

Postby YannToberen » 17 Jan 2024 19:53

I have a question. 5 years after the post that an update was coming, nothing has happened. In other posts you can read that you should send in affected WMV files. However, I read elsewhere that it probably only affects [Edit] WMV3 files. The question that arises for me is whether it is not possible for VLC to access other codes stored in the system or to downloadable codecs from me? After all, VLC is currently the only one with the problem (at least for me). However, it is otherwise the coolest video client that I know from the open source/freeware area. Therefore, I would like to expand it to include the ability to copy the affected WMVs.

By the way: the solution here, switching the output to OpenGL, is only partially helpful: it causes problems with various other formats. Then some video files are sometimes played, sometimes not (green image instead).

I don't want to in any way diminish the achievements of the developer and/or the team behind VLC, or trash the answers in general from the forums, but I think after so long there should be a statement on the topic give which one is linked on the website or what do I know.

But nothing is happening in terms of communication, apart from someone constantly posting the problem as a question. That's not a good style in my opinion.

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”