When I delay the subtitles by 90 seconds, skipping backwards kills them

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
EncryptedEggs
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

When I delay the subtitles by 90 seconds, skipping backwards kills them

Postby EncryptedEggs » 03 Jun 2019 05:29

I've used MakeMKV to rip my bluray of the Steins Gate anime. I wanted to watch using some fan-made subtitles, which are .ass files. So I can watch the MKV files and use VLC to "add a subtitle file." Turns out these subtitle files were made for a fan release that did not include the 90 second opening. Therefore, when I get to the opening I have to use VLC's track synchronization bit to delay the subtitle by about 90 seconds. At first this works fine. However, if I ever hit the left arrow key to skip backwards a few seconds, the subtitles then disappear entirely and I have to add the file again. Any help appreciated, thanks.

corey
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Re: When I delay the subtitles by 90 seconds, skipping backwards kills them

Postby corey » 13 Jun 2019 03:03

my guess is that when you do back or foreward that is for the video file only and does not apply to the subtitle file that's being added either by mistake or by design it simply stops the subtitle file all together,

I have that problem with built in subtitles, if I do too many forward or backs (back to back). and the subtitle gets turned off . and it usually requires a restart of VLC to fix it. Its really bad for closed captioning. If I have to use closed captioning I NEVER use forward or back ITs way to problematic to begin with with garbled captions

gnuarm
New Cone
New Cone

Postby gnuarm » 30 Oct 2019 09:24

I don't have this exact problem, but I find if I use the sync for subtitles and try to skip backwards, it often freezes the audio and video as if it were trying to play but doesn't actually present anything until it catches up with the place you were at before. I often rewind a bit to catch dialog I didn't hear and the subtitle goes away too quickly to read. With the video and audio screwing up like this it makes shows nearly unwatchable.

I also don't understand why the subtitles would drift once they are sync'ed initially.

unidan
Developer
Developer

Postby unidan » 30 Oct 2019 10:25

Hi, which version of VLC ? Can you try with 4.0-dev nightly build just to check that the issue isn't already fixed ?

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”