VLC doesn't know how long the video is

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
jon

VLC doesn't know how long the video is

Postby jon » 09 Dec 2005 23:34

Hi all,

When I play certain videos (AVI files) in VLC, it cannot detect the end time / length of the video. It lists it as 00:00, and when I try to skip forward (alt-right), it doesn't work - usually jumping back to the start of the video. When I slide the bar forward or backward, the picture becomes very pixelated (large blotches) for a few seconds.

Is this a characteristic of the video file? Or is it something with VLC? I've tried the last three versions and all exhibit this characteristic. Some video files play file, but some don't.

Any tips?

Jon

zorglub
Cone that earned his stripes
Cone that earned his stripes

Postby zorglub » 11 Dec 2005 17:16

Hello,

The videos that have this problem are broken AVI files. VLC can "repair" them. At the moment, you need to go to Preferences->Input/Codecs->Demuxers->AVI and select "repair AVI index".
Zorglub
Clément Stenac

jon

Can't find the option

Postby jon » 11 Dec 2005 21:21

Thanks for your response.
At the moment, you need to go to Preferences->Input/Codecs->Demuxers->AVI and select "repair AVI index".
When I go there, I see only two options (after clicking to show advanced options):

Force interleaved method
Force index creation

Do you mean the second option?

Thanks again for your help.

Jon

jon

Postby jon » 11 Dec 2005 21:27

Also, when I try that option [force index creation] nothing happens. I am not sure how to get it to take effect.

Jon

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”