FPS conversion failure

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
jimmy1
New Cone
New Cone

FPS conversion failure

Postby jimmy1 » 23 Dec 2018 00:48

I downloaded VLC 3.0.4 and successfully used it to convert a few MP4 movies from 30FPS to 18FPS. It was fairly straight forward. The movies that were creted were around 4 minutes long with the 2 minute original movie and the frames appeared at the proper rate in the windows media players. It was exactly as expected.

the basics I used to start were here
https://www.techwalla.com/articles/how- ... ate-in-vlc

However, I tried to convert a third movie and found that the output file was the exact same FPS (and time duration) as the original, despite being programmed to create the same 18FPS movie (and movie was same length too obviously) the exact same way.

Since this point in time, Ive spent close to 10 hours trying every conceivable mechanism to get the FPS conversion working again.
I have tried the following
- trying to get original movies to convert again, which didn't work.
-resetting user preferences 3-4 times, no luck
-uninstalling and reinstalling VLC 2-3 times, no luck
- trying atleast 3-4 different MP4 movies, no luck

How i this possible? I feel something got corrupted while using VLC that is not part of the VLC (maybe codecs or something related)? What can I do to get this working again?

There is nothing i did that should have created this.. the only really minor thing that that did happen between the 2nd and 3rd file FPS conversion was that while it was converting, I clicked a movie to start watching it and it started to play in the VLC player and caused it to hang up, it might have been the same movie that was converting.. shouldn't have any effect and was probably nothing .

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
VLC version: 4.0.0-git
Operating System: Linux, Windows, Mac

Re: FPS conversion failure

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 24 Dec 2018 14:18

Does it fail with all the movies, including the ones that worked fine before?
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
http://www.jbkempf.com/ - http://www.jbkempf.com/blog/category/Videolan
VLC media player developer, VideoLAN President and Sites administrator
If you want an answer to your question, just be specific and precise. Don't use Private Messages.

grumpy32
New Cone
New Cone

Postby grumpy32 » 22 Jan 2019 04:09

I have the same problem. Over 6 months ago on an earlier version of VLC (and I'm not sure which version), I converted over 100 MP4 videos from 30fps to 18 and 16 fps without issue. I am now using version 3.0.6 and it doesn't work. VLC reports a frame rate of 18 or 16 in the converted movie but the files are the same length (different file size) and playing at 30fps. I've tried different versions of VLC, three PC's with Win 7 and Win 10, I've even tried to convert the same movies I successfully converted 6 months ago with the same result.
On inspecting the files that did work I notice the frame rate is never exactly correct. Some are 20.012032 or 17.05252 or 17.15326 etc (I was aiming for 16 or 18fps with these movies) The failed conversions report exact frame rates of 16 or 18 fps.
I'm at a loss. There isn't any common denominator with this issue as I've tried different files, PC , operating systems and versions of VLC.
I can't possibly be the only one who has experienced this issue.

chouquette
Developer
Developer

Postby chouquette » 22 Jan 2019 12:00

Hi,

Could you provide the logs when you attempt to convert?
To help you, we need messages, to completely understand what your problems is.
To fix this, please be sure before you start the playback to:
  1. Open: Tools -> Messages.
  2. Set Verbosity to 2
  3. Start playback to reproduce your issue
  4. Save text in a file or copy into clipboard
  5. Then paste the full resulting log here between [​code]and[​/code] (or use Pastebin.com if it's too long)
Also don't forget to name your Operating System and provide the VLC media player version.

grumpy32
New Cone
New Cone

Postby grumpy32 » 23 Jan 2019 00:31

Operating System is Windows 10 Pro 64 bit CPU i5-3470
VLC version 3.0.6

http://pastebin.com/1rvYebBt

grumpy32
New Cone
New Cone

Postby grumpy32 » 24 Jun 2019 11:47

Its been 6 months since I posted this issue. It appears I maybe the only one on the planet with this issue and I don't believe that.
Please, does anyone have any ideas? Please....

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”