VLC 3.0.4 video playback errors for some MKV x265 HEVC files

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
justincranford
New Cone
New Cone

VLC 3.0.4 video playback errors for some MKV x265 HEVC files

Postby justincranford » 20 Oct 2018 21:02

I tried these suggestions before reporting this issue: reset my preferences, retry with latest nightly build of 3.0.5 and 4.0.0, and search this forum for duplicate posts. The issue still happens and I did not find a duplicate so I am posting.

VLC 3.0.4 is working great for me for all content, except one group of 10 MKV files. The 10 files are all encoded the same, it is a 10 episode season of a show with each file 40-50 minutes in length. During playback, VLC video playback fails after 5-15 minutes but audio keeps working. Playback of all the files triggers one of a few different VLC playback failures. The content plays perfectly fine in latest Windows Media Player on latest Windows 10 with all updates installed. Here is the codec info displayed by VLC for the MKV files. The different types of VLC video errors are listed below.

Code: Select all

Stream 0 Codec: MPEG-H Part2/HEVC (H.265) (hevc) Type: Video Video Resolution: 1280x720 Buffer dimensions: 1280x720 Frame rate: 24.390244 Decoded format: Orientation: Top Left Stream 1 Codec: MPEG AAC Audio (mp4a) Language: English Type: Audio Channels: Stereo Sample Rate: 48000 Hz Bits per sample: 32 AAC extensions: SBR
Here are some examples of the types of VLC errors I get during playback of these 10 MKV files:
- blank video but audio keeps playing
- half of the video goes black (lower left half triangle), but video (upper right half triangle) keeps playing and audio keeps playing
- VLC window freezes
- VLC window closed, but background process remains and I cannot open a new VLC window until I kill the background process
- Windows freezes with blank, solid color screen and becomes unresponsive

The failures do not happen at the same timestamps in each video file, it is somewhat random. If I kill VLC and restart the video where it froze, playback is ok again until the next random failure 5-15 minutes further along. I keep having to close and reopen VLC multiple times to get through each 40-50 minute video. Sometimes I have to use Task Manager to kill a leftover background VLC process. I guess I could watch perfectly fine in WMP at x1.00 speed, but VLC has spoiled me with x2.00 - x2.50 playback speeds. For the two times Windows completely froze and became unresponsive, I had to hard reboot my PC.

I noticed something which may or may not be related. There is a "Preload MKV files in the same directory" setting in VLC settings and it is enabled by default. When enabled, VLC video playback errors would happen about every 5-10 minutes. After I unchecked the MKV preload option, video playback lasted longer at 10-15 minutes before I experienced another video playback failure. I am not sure if this helps but I thought I would mention it.

I enabled debug logging in VLC 3.0.4 before I started playing one of the files from its start. I can attach a zip of the 94KB log file if the forum allows it; the zip size is only 8MB. In case I cannot attach a file, here is a sample of the error messages I see including a few debug messages around the same times.

Code: Select all

main debug: using hw decoder module "d3d11va" avcodec: Using D3D11VA (Intel(R) HD Graphics 530, vendor 32902(Intel), device 6418, revision 6) for hardware decoding main error: buffer deadlock prevented ... main error: buffer deadlock prevented ... main error: ES_OUT_SET_(GROUP_)PCR is called too late (pts_delay increased to 300 ms) ... main error: buffer deadlock prevented ... main error: ES_OUT_SET_(GROUP_)PCR is called too late (pts_delay increased to 842 ms) ... main error: ES_OUT_SET_(GROUP_)PCR is called too late (pts_delay increased to 932 ms) ... direct3d11 error: CreateTexture2D failed for the 1 pool. (hr=0x887a0005) direct3d11 error: Failed to allocate 82x82 texture for OSD direct3d11 debug: SwapChain Present failed. (hr=0x887A0005) ... main debug: toggling resume main debug: toggling resume mmdevice debug: state changed: 0 direct3d11 error: CreateTexture2D failed for the 1 pool. (hr=0x887a0005) direct3d11 error: Failed to allocate 82x82 texture for OSD direct3d11 debug: SwapChain Present failed. (hr=0x887A0005)

justincranford
New Cone
New Cone

Re: VLC 3.0.4 video playback errors for some MKV x265 HEVC files

Postby justincranford » 20 Oct 2018 21:34

I googled that "direct3d11 error" message and found a suggestion to disable hardware acceleration. It worked. I tested by playing a full file in VLC at x4.00 speed and there were no playback errors.

Rémi Denis-Courmont
Developer
Developer
VLC version: master
Operating System: Linux

Re: VLC 3.0.4 video playback errors for some MKV x265 HEVC files

Postby Rémi Denis-Courmont » 21 Oct 2018 09:46

Seems like your hardware video decoder is crashing or such during playback.
Rémi Denis-Courmont
https://www.remlab.net/
Private messages soliciting support will be systematically discarded

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”