VLC player 3.0.4 is no longer able to enter full screen after window is snapped to the corner (Win 10 build 1809)

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
Razor512
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

VLC player 3.0.4 is no longer able to enter full screen after window is snapped to the corner (Win 10 build 1809)

Postby Razor512 » 09 Oct 2018 22:21

After updating to windows 10 build 1809 (decided to give it a go since I have a backup of everything if needed), I noticed that if you snap the VLC window to a corner or side of the screen (Pressing the windows key + one of the arrow keys), the first attempt to enter full screen (e.g., double clicking on the video), will fail, and after exiting full screen, the window will no longer remain snapped to the location it was at before attempting to enter full screen.

Is anyone else experiencing this issue on build 1809 of windows 10?

I am using VLC player 3.0.4

Hitchhiker
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna
VLC version: 3.0.17.4
Operating System: Windows 8.1

Re: VLC player 3.0.4 is no longer able to enter full screen after window is snapped to the corner (Win 10 build 1809)

Postby Hitchhiker » 10 Oct 2018 18:34

Maybe it's due to the setting shown in the screenshot in this ghacks article. By the looks of it if that setting is enabled and you attempt to resize an application, then any other apps which are also running in snap will be resized as well.

mfkl
Developer
Developer

Re: VLC player 3.0.4 is no longer able to enter full screen after window is snapped to the corner (Win 10 build 1809)

Postby mfkl » 11 Oct 2018 07:12

Yes I managed to repro some weird behavior with your steps.
https://mfkl.github.io

freeslam
New Cone
New Cone

Postby freeslam » 25 Oct 2018 15:07

I have the same issue ! The only way to be able to use the full screen mode correctly is to avoind the snapping on a corner wich is a shame ! Please fix this !

ihatebrooms
New Cone
New Cone
VLC version: 3.0.4
Operating System: Windows 10

Postby ihatebrooms » 01 Nov 2018 14:30

I"m having a very similar issue. I'm running 1809/3.0.4.

I have VLC snapped to one side (1), and start toggling full screen. It goes through the following cycle if I keep toggling:

1) Snapped to the right side of the screen, covering up half the screen.
2) Mostly full screen, except the taskbar is still visible and covering up that part of the video. Additionally, there is a small strip on the far left showing the screen underneath; if I move the mouse cursor there, it displays the resizing cursor.
3) Toolbar (But not title bar) on top is visible. Bottom pane displays recording controls and progress bar (but not playback/volume controls).
4) Actual full screen
5) Return to state (1) - snapped to right side of screen, covering the right half of the screen.

It's definitely caused by the window being snapped - if it's maximized, the full screen toggles just between maximized and correct full screen (4) as expected. It's the same if it's not maximized, and also not snapped (ie just hanging out in a random place/size on the desktop). I also tried messing changing the various settings under System/Multitasking related to snap, as pointed out by Hitchhiker above, but that didn't change anything (other than disabling snap entirely, which of course trivially prevents the error from occurring in the first place).

DanGuerrero
New Cone
New Cone

Postby DanGuerrero » 13 Jan 2019 10:15

I'm having the same issue...

LongArmOfTheLawn
New Cone
New Cone

Postby LongArmOfTheLawn » 28 Jul 2019 17:08

So this issue has been persisting since at least October 2018?
With the answer from (a) developer unidan in the topic nr 149457
Hi, did you try resetting the preferences (save it if you want before) ?
At least not snaping the window is some sort of work around, but it's going to drive me insane. :shock:
Is there anybody here that has a solution to this problem or figured out what's going on? I tried messing around with some of the settings, but didn't get any closer to figuring out the problem.

Using version 3.0.7

xichael
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby xichael » 05 Dec 2019 19:54

I've submitted a bug report for this:

https://trac.videolan.org/vlc/ticket/23545

Hope it helps bring this to the developer's attention. It's a real annoyance

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”