Upgrade to 3.0.3 Vetinari Broke .mp4 videos

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
PsiberMage
New Cone
New Cone

Upgrade to 3.0.3 Vetinari Broke .mp4 videos

Postby PsiberMage » 11 Jun 2018 04:45

I took advantage of the upgrade to VLC V3.0.3 Vetinari a few days back. Now virtually every .MP4 file I try to play from any source has anywhere from 2 to 8 or more seconds of large pixelated green blotches that dance on my screen. Sometimes a fast-forward jolt works to eliminate them but usually not. There is nothing specific I can do to make them disappear. They just have to "wear out". Every successive video in the playlist demonstrates this same problem.

I have done nothing but upgraded to this new version. I was watching a friend's video from his vacation and the upgrade came on so I upgraded and now every video I have that played fine from the start now has green blobs at the beginning. As I said, I changed nothing. I used the same procedure I always have when upgrading.

I have a Windows 7 system running on an HP all-in-1 desktop with 4 GB of core and dual 2.4 ghz processors (I think - not sure about the speed). It doesn't matter if I reboot, load or don't load my usual stuff.

It is disheartening to have used VLC for many years with no problems at all and then have to spend all this time getting through all the procedures to register and log in and check emails etc, just to report a problem that a new version has caused.

I will look for an answer and attempt to assist you with the problem solving but until it is solved I am removing this version and going back to the previous one.

There is one other minor issue -- the text in the play list dialog is so small as to be almost unreadable. This was not the case before the upgrade either.

oganeg
New Cone
New Cone

Re: Upgrade to 3.0.3 Vetinari Broke .mp4 videos

Postby oganeg » 13 Jun 2018 21:25

The same thing happened to me (for more than .mp4s) and I had to revert too, loosing all of my preferences because I tried a clean install first.

I think I'll wait a long time before I try upgrading again.

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
VLC version: 4.0.0-git
Operating System: Linux, Windows, Mac

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 17 Jun 2018 23:51

I took advantage of the upgrade to VLC V3.0.3 Vetinari a few days back. Now virtually every .MP4 file I try to play from any source has anywhere from 2 to 8 or more seconds of large pixelated green blotches that dance on my screen. Sometimes a fast-forward jolt works to eliminate them but usually not. There is nothing specific I can do to make them disappear. They just have to "wear out". Every successive video in the playlist demonstrates this same problem.

I have done nothing but upgraded to this new version. I was watching a friend's video from his vacation and the upgrade came on so I upgraded and now every video I have that played fine from the start now has green blobs at the beginning. As I said, I changed nothing. I used the same procedure I always have when upgrading.

I have a Windows 7 system running on an HP all-in-1 desktop with 4 GB of core and dual 2.4 ghz processors (I think - not sure about the speed). It doesn't matter if I reboot, load or don't load my usual stuff.

It is disheartening to have used VLC for many years with no problems at all and then have to spend all this time getting through all the procedures to register and log in and check emails etc, just to report a problem that a new version has caused.

I will look for an answer and attempt to assist you with the problem solving but until it is solved I am removing this version and going back to the previous one.

There is one other minor issue -- the text in the play list dialog is so small as to be almost unreadable. This was not the case before the upgrade either.

Disable hardware decoding in preferences.
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
http://www.jbkempf.com/ - http://www.jbkempf.com/blog/category/Videolan
VLC media player developer, VideoLAN President and Sites administrator
If you want an answer to your question, just be specific and precise. Don't use Private Messages.

oazekaf
New Cone
New Cone

Postby oazekaf » 07 Jul 2018 18:48

Hi all,

I updated my VLC from 3.0.0 to 3.0.3, and the green screen was showed up to me after update.

So after this, I searched at forum about this. The instruction provided by @Jean-Baptiste Kempf worked here.

---Disable hardware decoding in preferences.

With more details:

tools -> preferences -> input/coders -> Disable hardware decoding (first option at the top)

So I have a question:

-This option will be degrad my video quality?

Thanks a lot

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 07 Jul 2018 18:59

It will not.
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
If you want an answer to your question, just be specific and precise. Don't use Private Messages.

oazekaf
New Cone
New Cone

Postby oazekaf » 07 Jul 2018 19:04

ok, thanks!

geogsm
New Cone
New Cone

Postby geogsm » 21 Aug 2018 01:02

Hi all,

I updated my VLC from 3.0.0 to 3.0.3, and the green screen was showed up to me after update.

So after this, I searched at forum about this. The instruction provided by @Jean-Baptiste Kempf worked here.

With more details:

tools -> preferences -> input/coders -> Disable hardware decoding (first option at the top)
Thanks guys.. That worked just fine but it's weird this issue wasn't there in older versions of the program! Hope they get it fixed in future updates.. Thanks again

livingdeadfr
New Cone
New Cone

Postby livingdeadfr » 21 Aug 2018 23:10

HI

I used the version 2.2.4 32b of vlc and be able to stream any mp4.
Since I moved to vlc 3.0.3 64b or 32b I'm not able to read mp4.

I tried to disable the hardware encoding as suggested, but it did not help.

VLC ne peut pas ouvrir « http://.....mp4 ». Vérifiez les messages pour plus de détails.
VLC can't open : .... . Verify the messages for more details.

The exact same link is working immediatly if I reinstall the version 2.2.4 32b. I test it 3 times

Do you know about a bug in VLC ?

Regards

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 22 Aug 2018 21:44

Hi all,

With more details:

Thanks guys.. That worked just fine but it's weird this issue wasn't there in older versions of the program! Hope they get it fixed in future updates.. Thanks again
What was your OS? GPU and driver version?
Jean-Baptiste Kempf

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”