flickering green screen

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
ram1009
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

flickering green screen

Postby ram1009 » 21 Apr 2018 01:02

Lately, during DVD playback I see an intermittent flickering green screen. It comes & goes seemingly at random and covers the whole screen although the playback is still visible. These are store bought & rented disks and also .isos of backups made from them. I have the latest VLC version and have seen it on two computers. Does not happen on Windows Media Player. Anyone else?

chubinou
Developer
Developer

Re: flickering green screen

Postby chubinou » 23 Apr 2018 10:37

Hello,

few questions:
  • Does this happens if you disable hardware decoding ? (tools -> preference -> Input/codec -> Hardware accelerated decoding)
  • what is you Graphic card/what driver version do you use ?
  • Could you share logs with us (tools -> message, set verbosity to 2, *then* play the DVD)
  • Would you be able to share the iso with us (create a ticket on https://trac.videolan.org/vlc and upload a sample https://streams.videolan.org/upload/. If the sample is over 1Go you can put it on a file sharing service an PM me the link)

NANCYK
New Cone
New Cone

Re: flickering green screen DVD

Postby NANCYK » 15 Sep 2020 22:07

My desktop runs on Windows 7. I've never had this happen before but yesterday I put an older DVD I just bought in the drive to play and a green screen came up, flickering, over the main screen with Play, Extras, Subtitles etc. I had a message to get the VLC upgrade which I did but it's still happening. I checked my computer and see I have VLC media player 3.0.11. What can I do (and am a tech idiot) to get rid of the flickering green screen. It's not my DVD player—I tried other DVDs without this problem, it's just this one DVD. Is it because I'm using 7 that I can't get a more recent upgrade and that's the issue? Is it because this DVD movie is from 2005? I'm confused. Any help would be appreciated. Thx.

Lotesdelere
Cone Master
Cone Master

Re: flickering green screen

Postby Lotesdelere » 16 Sep 2020 13:15

Read the post right above yours and apply.

ram1009
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Re: flickering green screen DVD

Postby ram1009 » 16 Sep 2020 19:00

My desktop runs on Windows 7. I've never had this happen before but yesterday I put an older DVD I just bought in the drive to play and a green screen came up, flickering, over the main screen with Play, Extras, Subtitles etc. I had a message to get the VLC upgrade which I did but it's still happening. I checked my computer and see I have VLC media player 3.0.11. What can I do (and am a tech idiot) to get rid of the flickering green screen. It's not my DVD player—I tried other DVDs without this problem, it's just this one DVD. Is it because I'm using 7 that I can't get a more recent upgrade and that's the issue? Is it because this DVD movie is from 2005? I'm confused. Any help would be appreciated. Thx.
WOW. You did better than I did. I posted this question years ago and have had no responses.

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”