won't play ogg files

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
RKelly5327
New Cone
New Cone

won't play ogg files

Postby RKelly5327 » 21 Mar 2018 19:40

Hi folks;

New member here- I've been using VLC for years, especially on ogg files. I downloaded the newest version, 3.0.1., and it just doesn't work. I'm running Windows 8.1, 64 bit, all updates installed. When I installed VLC it changed the icon for the ogg files to the VLC icon as it always has before. However when the file is clicked on, it brings up VLC, but VLC doesn't do anything, no error messages, no buttons work, nothing.
How do I fix it?

I haven't seen anything on here yet that assures I'll be notified via my email, so I hope I am. :-) I also couldn't find this subject anywhere so I hope I'm not violating a rule by posting this question here!

Thanks,

Ron K.

robUx4
Developer
Developer
VLC version: master
Operating System: Windows

Re: won't play ogg files

Postby robUx4 » 22 Mar 2018 09:02

If you open the file within VLC it doesn't play anything ?

If so can you provide some logs ? (Tools > Messages > Verbosity 2)

Lotesdelere
Cone Master
Cone Master

Re: won't play ogg files

Postby Lotesdelere » 22 Mar 2018 10:28

Well, all of my OGG Vorbis files are playing fine for me with VLC 3.0.1 on Windows 8.1 64 bits.
Does it work if you drag and drop files in the player window ?

If not, then as robUx4 already asked, please open Tools -> Messages (set Verbosity to 2) before you start the playback, and then paste the full resulting log here or on Pastebin.com if it's too long.

And also upload a short sample of a problematic file to either Zippyshare.com (200 MB max) or to EmbedUpload.com, the latter will upload the file for you to several other hosts (use the default ones) and then post the link to the file here.

If needed cut it with DGsplit and read here about how to do it:
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=57724&p=193335#p193335
50 MB max should be enough.

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”