Next button does not work on DVD's

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
sjohnso
New Cone
New Cone

Next button does not work on DVD's

Postby sjohnso » 24 Jan 2018 19:27

I am an instructor at a community college. We have VLC version 2.2.8 Weatherwax installed on our computers. (I don't have control over updating or which version is installed - I only have access to use them.) The computers are running Windows 10. I have instructional DVD's that show a video and then pauses so instructor can wait for student responses. Then you hit the NEXT button on the player to see the rest of the video segment. The player works with the dvd menu's fine and the dvd's play fine until you get to the pause. Upon hitting the NEXT button in the player (in either the drop down menu or the GUI at the bottom of the screen) the DVD jumps to the menu or some other part of the DVD INSTEAD OF continuing with the next material afterwards. I have tried this with multiple DVD's and from different companies and the results are all the same. (I guess this is kind of like the things used on game DVD's where it will pause and let you select an answer?) This is the only player we have on the computers as the new Windows Media players no longer support DVD's.

Help from IT is minimal. They say the Next button works on their regular dvd's and they updated to the latest version, etc. So virtually no help from them. I can use the DVD player to run these DVD's, but it would be far more convenient to get them to run on the computer so I don't have to switch back and forth between the DVD player and computer constantly.

Is there something I am doing wrong or a setting the needs to be fixed? Is this a known problem? Will this be fixed in future releases?

Thanks.

jayR
Cone that earned his stripes
Cone that earned his stripes

Re: Next button does not work on DVD's

Postby jayR » 24 Jan 2018 21:56

Next button works ONLY IF there is a next chapter. It doesn't skip to next title.

sjohnso
New Cone
New Cone

Postby sjohnso » 15 Feb 2018 20:41

So the Next button on VLC IS NOT like the next button on a DVD player? What button is like the NEXT button on a DVD player in VLC? These DVD's work fine in actual DVD/Blueray players.

sjohnso
New Cone
New Cone

Postby sjohnso » 15 Feb 2018 20:44

I forgot to mention, the next button on the VLC player that was installed in Windows 7 last year DID work with the same DVD's, too. The next button does not work with the version mentioned above in Windows 10.

chubinou
Developer
Developer

Postby chubinou » 16 Feb 2018 10:59

Hello,

The next button should behave like the next button of a DVD player, the button is only activated when the current title have another title indicated as a next chapter.

Could you try with VLC 3.0 and report here. I'm afraid we won't backport features to VLC 2.x from now on.

sjohnso
New Cone
New Cone

Postby sjohnso » 01 Mar 2018 16:00

Sorry it took so long, but I needed to find time and a computer with Windows 10 on it to try it out. Anyway, yes, the next button does work on Version 3.
Thanks!

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”