Can't run VLC player

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
Jim

Can't run VLC player

Postby Jim » 15 Nov 2005 08:01

For a couple of months I've been harrassing helps sites trying to get a new E-machine XP to play a streaming Japanese news site. (Important to me for language study.) The WMP will not buffer sufficiently. Video portion moves seldom, I get only a glitchy word occasionally, etc.

Frustration is my old and much weaker computer (destroyed by lightning) played this site quickly and well...Windows 98. New machine has tons more RAM and all but acts like it's got arteriosclerosis... sigh!

A help forum suggested I download the VCL player, but no matter what location I get it from, when I try to use it I get message saying the installer is corruputed, possibly by a virus.

Don't know if another player would touch the buffering issue, but thought I'd try. How can I get copy of VLC that will run?

Any help appreciated! Plain English, please...I'm not a tech person! :)

erbsen
Cone that earned his stripes
Cone that earned his stripes

Postby erbsen » 15 Nov 2005 17:53

A help forum suggested I download the VCL player, but no matter what location I get it from, when I try to use it I get message saying the installer is corruputed, possibly by a virus.
Maybe you should try the zipped Version. http://www.videolan.org/vlc/download-windows.html

This page also stated:
Virus warning: we have had several reports of trojaned VLC binaries (Sophos detected Troj/Momma-B, and Panda detected Bck/Optix). These are false positives, our packages are not trojaned. The Windows version is compiled on a Linux box, it is highly unlikely that a Windows virus would end there. However be aware, to only download VLC from the above mentioned locations.
You can try also 0.8.4-test2 or a nightly build.

erbsen
Spying? Torture? Illegal airstrikes? Dyncorp, Halliburton - **Stay polite ** Slaves? SHUT UP and hate Bin Laden.

Jim

Postby Jim » 16 Nov 2005 03:23

Thanks, Erbsen,

Gosh...this forum needs simplifyng...took me 10 minutes to find my post...I'll probably never get back here again! lost in cyberspace....

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”