VLC Windows 10 scaling zoom fix

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
tbcam88
New Cone
New Cone

VLC Windows 10 scaling zoom fix

Postby tbcam88 » 19 Jan 2017 11:40

Hi all,

I currently switch between two displays; one a 22" monitor, the other a 60" TV. Windows 10 has a scaling feature where it will increase the text size etc. whenever the bigger display is in use (said scaling set at 125%). However, I've noticed this regularly causes a problem with VLC where the video becomes partially zoomed. I know the scaling's responsible as I've only just started using this feature and have had no problems of this kind beforehand in my lengthy time as a VLC user. Here's a screen of the issue at hand:

As you can see by the credits, the video output has been zoomed in on, resulting in some major cropping. I'm not sure the exact behaviour that triggers this as it's fairly random (yet regular) in occurrence. I've tried toggling between monitors, adjusting the scaling level, turning the feature on and off etc. but can't figure out exactly what it is that brings it into effect.

A simple restart of the system will correct the issue with ease. I've previously been able to sign out, then sign back in to correct it also but this is temperamental and doesn't produce a result every time... Is anyone aware of the solution? I've got a sneaking suspicion it's tweaks with the OS and its scaling algorithm that's required as opposed to ticking/unticking anything within VLC's preferences (hopefully I'm wrong here! :P ).

Thanks in advance!

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”