file will not play after conversion on Windows player

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
xtal_01
New Cone
New Cone

file will not play after conversion on Windows player

Postby xtal_01 » 29 Sep 2016 21:43

First let me start off by saying I am dumb as dirt when it comes to mp4 vs mkv vs ... and the various codecs.

I finally understand that mp4 is just the container and can have various combinations of video and audio files in it.

I use VLC as a player all the time with no problems. My wife uses Windows Media Player (her work gives her a laptop with that has Windows 7 on it).

Problem .... I downloaded some files using ffm that came down in TS format. She wants them in mp4 format.

I honestly did not know till the other day that VLC could even convert files.

I tried to use HandBrake. Again, the problem is I just don't know enough about it. The original file was about 2 Gig. It is about 2 hours long ... 720p (HEFO0000_mezz16x9-16x9-hls-2500k).

The problem is I just don't know what I am doing. I tried it the first time and got a 900 Mb mp4 file .... full of artifacts. It plays but I get "blocks" all over when I play it. I "play with the settings ... great, now I have a 18 gig file that plays wonderful.

So, while researching what I did wrong in HandBrake, I see you can use VLC!

Great ... I love VLC, never had a problem with it (so far).

So I go to convert ... load in my file ... pick (H.264 + mp3) mp4 .... and say run ( not looking at any other setting ... all set the way it came.

Get a 2 gig file .... runs great on VLC but will not run on Windows Medial player. Does not give an error ... I can move the slide bar along and see frames but just won't play.

I did a bunch of reading on the forum here .... looks like others have had the same problem ... sometimes because of an audio codec.

The original files (according to VLC) has a video codec: H264-MPEG-4 AVC (part 10)(h264)
Audio Codec: MPEC AAC Audio (mp4a)

I tried the conversion again .... this time I when into the settings and said "use original coded" thinking H264 and AAC would be fine in an mp4 container and the original does play in Windows Media Player wife (even thought it plays, she still wants it in mp4 not ts format).

Same thing .... just won't play on Windows Media Player.

So, any idea what I am doing wrong or what settings I can try to change to get this to play?

I know this is not really a VLC problem but I am hoping someone can tell me how to make the TS video a "standard" mp4 video using this program.

Thanks so much ...... Mike

Lotesdelere
Cone Master
Cone Master

Re: file will not play after conversion on Windows player

Postby Lotesdelere » 30 Sep 2016 12:21

Transcoding is somehow broken in recent builds, this is a known issue awaiting for a fix.
Meanwhile you should use an older version.

However, in your specific case you don't need to convert anything but just to change container from TS to MP4.
Get a recent build of FFmpeg and use the following command:

Code: Select all

ffmpeg -i input.ts -c copy output.mp4
This will just copy the audio and video streams from the TS file into a new MP4 file so there will be no quality loss.

xtal_01
New Cone
New Cone

Postby xtal_01 » 30 Sep 2016 19:07

Awesome!

This is exactly what I needed to know!

I have FFmpeg on my computer. Again, I am dumb as dirt. I have only used it .... following exact instructions .... to download a video from the web (in fact it was this video).

I did not know it could change containers.

Thanks so much again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mike

xtal_01
New Cone
New Cone

Postby xtal_01 » 01 Oct 2016 03:36

Hello,

I sent a pm but since then I think I have the syntax I was looking for correct. Here is my new problem:

I used the input line: ffmpeg -i input.ts -c copy output.mp4

I got the error: Malformed AAC bitstream detected: use audio bitstream filter 'aac_adtstoasc' to fix it ('-bsf:a aac_adtstoacs' )....

So after a few failed attempts ... and a lot of reading ... I finally entered: ffmpeg -i input.ts '-bsf:a aac_adtstoacs output.ts

Now I am getting the error: Codec 'mp2' <86016> is not supported by the bistream filter 'aac_adtstoast' _ Supported codecs are: aac <86018> Error initializing bistream filter: aac_adtstoasc

I have an output file but with 0 bites in it.

What do I need to do now??????

Thanks so much .... Mike

Lotesdelere
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby Lotesdelere » 03 Oct 2016 09:39

Now I am getting the error: Codec 'mp2' <86016> is not supported by the bistream filter 'aac_adtstoast' _ Supported codecs are: aac <86018> Error initializing bistream filter: aac_adtstoasc
Looks like your TS contains several audio streams, at least one is AAC and another one is MP2.
You need to identify the stream ID of the AAC stream to apply the aac_adtstoasc to it, or just copy the MP2 stream.

FFmpeg documentation is here:
https://www.ffmpeg.org/ffmpeg-all.html

U can also use a dedicated tool like AviDemux using the copy streams mode. Both video and audio streams will be copied into a new MP4 container.

Nephele
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Nephele » 04 Feb 2017 09:01

Only Windows Media Player supports to play MP4 container file with MPEG-4 video codec and AAC audio codec.
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/hel ... dia-player

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”