Win 10 cant play DVDs

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
Blkdog
New Cone
New Cone

Win 10 cant play DVDs

Postby Blkdog » 16 Aug 2016 22:05

OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro, 32 bit
Processor: AMD C-60 APU with Radeon(tm) HD Graphics, x64 Family 20 Model 2 Stepping 0
Processor Count: 2
RAM: 3578 Mb
Graphics Card: AMD Radeon HD 6290 Graphics, 256 Mb
Hard Drives: C: Total - 291830 MB, Free - 136362 MB; S: Total - 0 MB, Free - 0 MB;
Motherboard: Acer, JE10-BZ
Antivirus: Norton Security Suite, Updated and Enabled

Using USB external HP Writer 557s CD/DVD drive

This drive worked perfectly under Win 7. Since upgrading to win 10 can not get DVDs to play of be recognized.
I read that Win 10 no longer supports DVDs. Downloaded VCL and K-Lite Codec. When try to use Open Disk in VCL it displays E:
When play I get this message:

Your input can't be opened:
VLC is unable to open the MRL 'dvd:///E:/'. Check the log for details.

Why is the DVD listed as E:? I do not see a drive D:

Have no idea why I am getting this error or what to do. Have used Device Manager to uninsall DVD drive and reinstall with no change,
Though I am a little computer literate, this level of knowledge I lack enough to know how to proceed.

Any help appreciated.
Blkdog

jayR
Cone that earned his stripes
Cone that earned his stripes

Re: Win 10 cant play DVDs

Postby jayR » 17 Aug 2016 00:36

You can find drive names from File explorer. Click ThisPC.

colinbaker
New Cone
New Cone

Postby colinbaker » 09 Nov 2016 02:38

Here is the step-by-step guide for you to play DVD on VLC, just feel free to download the latest version of VLC Media Player (version 2.2.4), and once it’s installed, just open the program and select media then scroll down to open disk. Then under disk selection choose dvd then make sure disk device is on the dvd drive you want to watch and just press play at the bottom. Very easy and free fix, hope problem is able to figure out.
If still cannot play dvd movies, pls feel free to turn to http://www.brorsoft.cn/rip-dvd/play-dvd ... s-mac.html, in that post, list another way to fix this problem using keys database and AACS dynamic library.

WinfridT
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby WinfridT » 09 Nov 2016 07:24

Just a note to "in that post, list another way to fix this problem using keys database and AACS dynamic library"
key database and AACS have nothing to do with DVDs - these are only needed for BluRays.

Try to use vlc from the sourceforge.net - on http://www.labdv.com/aacs/ you will find the download locations.
For me the 64-bit version works perfect. The KEYDB is only needed for BluRays.

There is a second way to specify the DVD in the vlc media selection,
first open the drive with the DVD with the Windows Explorer - this should show you the drive and the Label of the DVD,
click on search and select VIDEO_TS

Instead of using vlc from sourceforge.net you can also use vlc-3.0.0 which you will find on http://nightlies.videolan.org/

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”