Playing RTMP streams in VLC

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
Monarchneedshelp
New Cone
New Cone

Playing RTMP streams in VLC

Postby Monarchneedshelp » 02 Aug 2016 05:48

Hi there,

I watch live stream football games and golf on a site because some of the channels are not available to me as they're European, this site uses JWPlayer as it's broadcaster and I've been trying to watch the stream on VLC because it runs smoother than my browser when streaming videos. I downloaded URLHelper to get the url of the video stream and got an RTMP file: rtmp://46.28.205.7:1935/zmliveme<playpath>mIqDC40N2Q <swfUrl>http://static.zoomtv.me/player/jwplayer.6.7.4.swf <pageUrl>http://www.zoomtv.me/embed.php?v=lx1peed&vw=660&vh=450

I tried that link in VLC and it didn't work, I know nothing about this stuff and was wondering if someone could explain how I can use that link to stream it in VLC?

_fred_berg_
Blank Cone
Blank Cone
Operating System: Window 10

Re: Playing RTMP streams in VLC

Postby _fred_berg_ » 03 Aug 2016 06:00

i have only used the RTMP before when I attempted to live stream an event. I used Adobe Live Encoder + JWPlayer although i haven't tried VLC on this. But i think this should be pretty straight through.. Are you certain the link is correct? What version of VLC are you using?
"your most unhappy customers are your greatest source of learning"

_fred_berg_
Blank Cone
Blank Cone
Operating System: Window 10

Re: Playing RTMP streams in VLC

Postby _fred_berg_ » 03 Aug 2016 06:02

I found this somewhere although i'm not sure if this might help you

"There are some instances, when the RTMP Files do not play in VLC Media Player. There may me some obvious reasons for the same, and among them the need for the proper codec information is one of the important ones. Sometimes, due to the network streaming error, you may feel difficulty in playing the RTMP File. In case, the encryption is not enabled in the stream, the process of the playing of the file is not possible even with the VLC Media Player. Sometimes, compatibility issues are just another reason for some RTMP Files not playing on VLC Media Player. Along with these authentication issues and security issues during the process of the streaming are some of the other reasons for the same. Clients Restrictions and even wrong URL Feed are some of the reasons for the incapability of VLC Player in running the RTMP Files."
"your most unhappy customers are your greatest source of learning"

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”