VLC Doesn't play .wmv extension

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.

VLC Doesn't play .wmv extension

Postby Guest » 22 Oct 2005 23:05

Vlc works with all other formats, but with .WMV doesn't.
when I open a .wmv video, only plays the sound, but not the image.

I select -> Video -> Pista 1 but nothing hapens

Help

HyperHacker
Cone that earned his stripes
Cone that earned his stripes
VLC version: 0.8.6e
Operating System: WinXP SP2

Postby HyperHacker » 23 Oct 2005 04:37

Most WMVs are encoded with a video format which VLC doesn't support. (I dunno WHY it doesn't, other open-source players do, but it doesn't. <_<)
[ PC: WXP Pro SP2 | 1GB RAM | 250GB HD | 256MB Radeon 9550 | 1.7ghz AMD Sempron | VLC 0.8.6e (wxWidgets) ]
[ Laptop: Gateway MX7515 | WXP Pro SP2 | 1GB RAM | 100GB HD | 128MB Mobility Radeon X600 | 2.6ghz AMD Athlon | VLC 0.8.6e (wxWidgets) ]

Thomas_AR
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Thomas_AR » 23 Oct 2005 17:08

Yes, this is realy an enoying efect regarding to VLC. Would be 'the' Top Player if this problem would have a solution.
Ciao
Thomas

fkuehne
Developer
Developer
VLC version: 0.4.6 - present
Operating System: Darwin

Postby fkuehne » 23 Oct 2005 17:38

The WMV-format is completetly support by VLC for Windows (on no other platforms though). You just need to install WMP 9 or 10 (VLC uses certain libraries of these players) to make that work. DRM-protected files won't play of course.
VideoLAN
Felix Paul Kühne
Medic. VLC developer for appleOS since before you were born.
Blog: https://www.feepk.net

Thomas_AR
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Thomas_AR » 23 Oct 2005 20:05

Yes, VLC playes most wmv files, but with some ugly kind of bugs. For example if you jump in the timeline forward several minutes, VLC needs , in my case, some seconds to establish a clear video. Other 'direct show player' don't have this problem. If you wish is publish some screenshots.
Ciao
Thomas

fkuehne
Developer
Developer
VLC version: 0.4.6 - present
Operating System: Darwin

Postby fkuehne » 23 Oct 2005 21:02

Well, VLC uses DMO and not DirectShow actually, I doubt that this is important here. Most other media players are running frame-based, while VLC doesn't know about the concept of frames and runs time-based. Additionally, VLC doesn't do that advanced caching of files like QuickTime, etc.. That's why ugly artefacts exist and there is nothing you could do to prevent that, except enhancing the buffer-size, but even this will only help a little, if it helps at all.
VideoLAN
Felix Paul Kühne
Medic. VLC developer for appleOS since before you were born.
Blog: https://www.feepk.net

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”