Jerky DVD playback

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
h265
New Cone
New Cone

Jerky DVD playback

Postby h265 » 04 Apr 2016 01:51

i7 3610QM 2.3Gz
W7 64bit

I always seem to get jerky playback when playing DVD's with VLC. I updated to 2.2.2 and it still has the problem. The problem is especially likely to occur if I jump forward or backwards by clicking on the progress bar. Playback will be fine then in 2 minutes it will jerk forward a few seconds, be ok for 5 minutes then jerk forward a few seconds.

Media player has no issues like this in spite of me clicking randomly on the progress bar.

I hate Media player though because it completely unintuitive to use! VLC by comparison is very intuitive to use.

I've checked the forum and the last post I see detailing jerky DVD playback is in 2010! Could it just be a DVD playback buffer setting that needs tweaking? VLC players regular files, e.g. mp4 etc ok without issues.

Another thing that might have a bearing on the problem is that VLC always skips the copyright notice at the start of the disc whereas Media Player plays it.

jayR
Cone that earned his stripes
Cone that earned his stripes

Re: Jerky DVD playback

Postby jayR » 04 Apr 2016 02:13

"VLC always skips the copyright notice"

To enable this, "Tools" - "Preferences" - "show settings All".
From there, click "Input/Codecs" - "Access modules" - "DVD with menu".
Uncheck "Start directly in menu".

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”