VLC and 7.1 DTS streams

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
cinderwolf
New Cone
New Cone

VLC and 7.1 DTS streams

Postby cinderwolf » 23 Mar 2016 22:07

I have a question or two concering VLC (2.2.2) and 7.1 DTS audio tracks contained within MKV files (Windows 7 Ultimate x64).

Currently I'm using a 7.1 usb audio headset and want to make sure I'm getting the 7.1 experience. In previous versions of VLC (i.e. 1.1.11 for example) it would allow me to select the type of audio output configuration (stereo, quad, or 5.1 for example) but I believe VLC would upmix/downmix, etc. In the new version I've finally upgraded to, I don't see any options to down or upmix.

My video file lists as containing "DTS-HD Master Audio 7.1" as per store advertising.... but through the MediaInfo program, it's listed as containing 8 channel/6 channel DTS (MA/Core) for the audio stream.

Is VLC automatically outputting the 7.1 content or will it only output at the 5.1? Is an optical output or HDMI output required?
I'll be purchasing a 7.1 receiver as I'm building my entertainment center and my HTPC build is the heart of the system... I just happen to be out of practice when it comes to audio within video programs.

xarisathos
New Cone
New Cone

Re: VLC and 7.1 DTS streams

Postby xarisathos » 24 Jul 2017 07:22

I have exactly the same question and I am wondering how you can swap between the two audio streams (DTS-HD and DTS, aka 7.1 and 5.1)?

It seems that VLC shows a preference to load automatically the 5.1 audio stream and "hides" the other one (7.1).

Is anyone that knows how to switch between them?

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”