Last position

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
Pezzy
New Cone
New Cone

Last position

Postby Pezzy » 01 Jan 2016 22:15

Hi all.

It seems whenever I come to these forums, it's always for the same issue: Playback of a video file & remembering the last position played!!! :P

At some point some years ago, when the next release of VLC Media Player came out, I noticed the feature of "Remembering position" went away. Even having this feature was not there by Default; you had to get ahold of a file called "mempos.lua" and place it in a special hidden folder (AppData/ Roaming, etc.). But like I mentioned, at some point [ I think it may have been after version 2.0.8 ], that feature was no longer supported. I would usually always get the most recent/ latest version of VLC, but since I liked the Remember position feature, I stuck with an older version.

But recently I thought I came across something that mentioned that the latest version of VLC included a "last position" feature. So, I went and downloaded/ installed the 64-bit version of VLC, version 2.2.1. When launching the app, I noticed when clicking on View in the toolbar, that in the drop-down menu is "Remember file pos"; I assumed "pos" was sort for "position".

I tried "Remember file pos" while playing a movie file. I closed VLC Media Player. Re-launched it. It didn't work.

Doing a search on the 'Net I came across something that said there's an add-in extension called "Resume Media, version 3.40". Any good?

Or how about.....how do I just get the View/ Remember file pos" to work?

BTW: I have Windows 10, 64-bit, if that helps.

Thanks for any info.
Pez

Peter 123
New Cone
New Cone

Re: Last position

Postby Peter 123 » 03 Jan 2016 08:21

[...] the latest version of VLC included a "last position" feature.
[...]
I tried "Remember file pos" while playing a movie file. I closed VLC Media Player. Re-launched it. It didn't work.
Hi Pez,

I faced exactly the same problem as you (in my case with Windows 7, 32 bit), searching for hours the reason why it does not work. (Trying also various extensions that did not work either.)

Finally I think I found the reason in a comment under a (useful) video at Youtube that explains the resume playback function of the VLC Media Player ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j8O7GaZFi2A ):

The creator of the video himself writes:
The method doesn't work [for] certain formats.
And so indeed it is!

I tried it with:
- an avi-file: the resume option works
- a 3gp-file: resume does not work
- various DVDs: resume does not work

It would be fine if the developers could make the feature work for all file types (especially for DVDs it would be very useful). And if this is not possible in the near future at least a note should be added to the feature that it is not available for various formats. - Thanks.

PS:
To make clear which feature I refer to (it can be seen in the linked video at Youtube too):

Tools ---> Preferences ---> Show settings: "All" ---> Interface ---> Main Interfaces ---> Qt
There you will find on the right side the feature "Continue playback?" where you can choose from the dropwdown menu instead of the default "Never" the option "Always" (or "Ask").
But even if you choose "Always" the continuing of playback does not work for certain formats as mentioned above.

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”