Choppy video when loading another instance of VLC

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
Lightlabyrinth
New Cone
New Cone

Choppy video when loading another instance of VLC

Postby Lightlabyrinth » 15 Dec 2015 21:51

I'm in a situation where I'm cycling through VLC windows on multiple monitors. Each monitor has a window in the background which connects to a network stream and then brings itself to the front, the hidden window then does the same. This is all set up so that only one monitor switches at a time, every 5 seconds a different monitor changes video.

I am seeing a slight chug when a video window switches while 6 are running, it lasts maybe half a second and only happens maybe one out of 3 times. It gets worse when I try this on 4 monitors(8 VLC instances), the video quality is abysmal on every monitor during each switch making this completely unusable.

I have monitored the GPU performance, CPU, RAM, and network activity. The CPU occasionally goes above 50% but never peaks, GPU remains rock solid at around 30% usage. I have tried this on multiple machines running Windows 7, all exhibit the exact same behavior.

What type of bottleneck could I be looking at here? Is there some sort of shared resource that VLC uses that could be causing this stutter?

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”