Still no luck with Blu ray on Win 7

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
shakeninsane
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Still no luck with Blu ray on Win 7

Postby shakeninsane » 10 Mar 2015 13:07

Hello people! I haven't played a Bluray on my PC in forever, (since I hardly buy blurays due to all the playback issues) - But I got myself a Blu ray now, thinking DVDPasskey Lite still worked. (It doesn't btw, they got sold out/hijacked or whatever) Anyway, so now I'm back on the VLC horse, trying to figure out how to play Blu rays. I know there are some tools out there to rip blurays, but I only want to watch it on my PC, not rip it. Frankly, I don't want a 3 hour long Blu ray video on my HDD, right.

I use Win 7 64bit, but I have a 32bit VLC I think, (couldn't figure out how to check this, but I'm almost certain)

So I followed the instructions on whoknowsmy.name - which I found I had already done since last time I gave up on this and used Passkey intead.

But I did it again to make sure, since the files where updated.

I tried the 32 bit AACS first, which gives me the message "This Blu-ray Disc needs a library for AACS decoding, and your system does not have it."
When I tried the 64bit AACS, it gives me this message "VLC kan ikke åpne MRL-en «bluray:///E:/». Les loggen for mer informasjon." (VLC can't open the MRL, read the log for more information)

So yeah. I've got the newest update for VLC btw. And I think when I tried my first Bluray, I tried both 64 bit and 32 bit VLC.

I'm tempted to just get the MakeMKV or something, but honestly, I don't really want huge videofiles on my PC, I just want to watch the Blu rays I've bought on the Blu ray player I bought, ahrhghghg. :roll:

Any news on playing Blu ray on VLC/Win 7 as of late?

daaceking
Cone that earned his stripes

Re: Still no luck with Blu ray on Win 7

Postby daaceking » 12 Mar 2015 15:22

are you trying to play bd on the pc? 2.2 should have improved bd support. i believe 3.0.0 is supposed to be better but in terms of a disc with full copy protections, i don't think vlc can do much. you should try a proper blu-ray player like powerdvd. don't get your hopes up though, it's expensive and not very good. also version 15 is expected to be released around april so don't buy v.14

shakeninsane
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby shakeninsane » 13 Mar 2015 18:02

Yep, trying to play a bluray disc on my PC. When I used Passkey lite last time, on another Bluray, it worked fine on VLC, due to the Passkey software. But that software no longer works.

I got a PowerDVD installation disc years ago for PC I bought. Will I be able to "update" that one if I install it? (update for free I mean) It came as a setup on a "various setups" disc I recieved when I bought a PC ages ago. That software was IMO very good, played DVDs like a charm. How come PowerDVD isn't any good? Considering it should be able to play Bluray, AND is expensive? Sheesh, sometimes I wonder why we even have Blurays.. (and that's why I end up buying the DVD to watch, and torrent MKV files to gif/screencap, lmao)

Will VLC ever be able to play Blurays? I just don't understand why some people can and some not. :(

daaceking

Postby daaceking » 13 Mar 2015 18:27

if you have a blu-ray version of powerdvd (deluxe / ultra) then to an extent you can update it for free. reason why powerdvd is not good is because they have no idea how to make a decently functioning piece of software. they are selling you a badly made piece of software in my opinion. problem with blu-ray itself is firstly, the copy protection keeps updating as it is defeated. unlike css on dvd where there is one type, aacs adapts eveytime it is broken and i think the other copy protections are tied to that e.g. cinavia. if you remove aacs, you run into copy protection issues. also, java features are always changing and breaking newer blu-rays. basically it is a real pain. some consider the blu-ray format to be a step back. sure its prettier than dvd but has many complications.

even if vlc can defeat aacs, there are other protections so the chances of vlc playing a protected disc is very unlikely. however, if you have a non-protected disc, then maybe 2.2 can start to load the menus but i haven't tried version 2.2 yet. :-)

shakeninsane
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby shakeninsane » 14 Mar 2015 16:27

Does it say on the Bluray wether it's protected or not? (Like, a special seal or not)

If PowerDVD/Bluray playback is so shoddy, is there any other software that plays it beautifully? I mean, my PS3 has always played BD with no issue, but playing it on the PS3 is useless if I want to screencap/gif (where BD is a bliss working with rather than DVD quality, haha)

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”