Screen turns bright when opening player

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
BRIGHTSCREEN-GUY
New Cone
New Cone

Screen turns bright when opening player

Postby BRIGHTSCREEN-GUY » 11 Feb 2015 16:47

This has been going on for a while. I have turned off adaptive screen brightness on my computer but this still happens. I've uninstalled. Installed the 64 bit version, uninstalled, installed 32 bit version and still have the problem. Every time I open VLC media player. I get my screen brightness shot up to 100% burning out my eyeballs. How can I stop this to prevent any more damage to my retinas. Once I exit the palyer, the brightness goes back to its normal state.
I have windows 8.1.

Cyan
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Re: Screen turns bright when opening player

Postby Cyan » 13 Feb 2015 23:33

I don't know anything about this, but just giving it a shot, could it be a setting in your video card driver?
Take a loot at the configuration screen for your graphics card, if you have one. Can't guarantee that is where you're problem is at, but maybe.

BRIGHTSCREEN-GUY
New Cone
New Cone

Postby BRIGHTSCREEN-GUY » 13 Feb 2015 23:41

I don't know anything about this, but just giving it a shot, could it be a setting in your video card driver?
Take a loot at the configuration screen for your graphics card, if you have one. Can't guarantee that is where you're problem is at, but maybe.
I checked but there is nothing. This only happens for VLC media player.

Cyan
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Cyan » 14 Feb 2015 00:12

I'm out of ideas already.
How exactly do you set the brightness? I didn't even know the PC can control the screen settings in any way. Or is this brightness setting in windows itself? Or are we talking about a laptop instead of a desktop PC?

I'm sorry but I don't think I'll be able to solve this one.

BRIGHTSCREEN-GUY
New Cone
New Cone

Postby BRIGHTSCREEN-GUY » 14 Feb 2015 00:33

I'm out of ideas already.
How exactly do you set the brightness? I didn't even know the PC can control the screen settings in any way. Or is this brightness setting in windows itself? Or are we talking about a laptop instead of a desktop PC?

I'm sorry but I don't think I'll be able to solve this one.
A laptop. The thing is, it changes the brightness setting while its open and then I close it and it reverts back. I'll try fiddling with settings more.

Delle
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Delle » 20 May 2017 19:44

Same Problem here. Windows 7, Thinkpad X201, VLC 2.2.5.1.
Opening VLC changes the screen brightness. Closing VLC reverts the screen to the old brightness.
The brightness level that the screen jumps to whenever VLC is open is consistent. Example: the regular brightness is at 10%, I open VLC and it jumps to 50%. Now I can lower it to 30%. I close VLC: it jumps back to 10%. I open VLC: it jumps up to 30%.

So as a workaround, I set the "non-VLC brightness" and the "VLC brightness" to the same level for a seamless experience. Of course, the workaround breaks next time I absentmindedly change the brightness, don't think of VLC at that moment and then later open VLC - surprise again.

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”