VLC install crashed hard drive

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
captpaul
New Cone
New Cone

VLC install crashed hard drive

Postby captpaul » 09 Feb 2015 21:15

I just installed VLC 2.1.5 on a brand new Dell laptop. The installation froze, and since that time I can not start the machine, not even in safe mode. I saw one BSOD but could not capture the information. The screen shows that Windows is starting, then the screen go black and that's it, nothing. This is an i5 machine that is brand new. Any thoughts?

Cyan
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Re: VLC install crashed hard drive

Postby Cyan » 11 Feb 2015 02:22

Sounds like you're in cyber-hell.
I have no idea what could have caused this to happen, but maybe it can be solved. I think the moment of this crash was coincidental, not caused by VLC specific. But I can't say that for sure.

If you have a recovery disk for windows, you might want to check it out, sometimes it is able to restore windows boot without destroying anything you already have on the laptop.
If you don't own a recovery disk, Dell likely put the recovery tools in a partition of the laptops hard-drive instead of putting them on a CD. You should be able to restore windows by running the recovery from that partition.

If you have no experience with this, or have no idea what I am even talking about, I recommend you contact Dell, or Microsoft, and ask them to help you with your problem. They should know how to repair Windows boot.

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”