Add to playlist of most recent instance

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
Cyan
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Add to playlist of most recent instance

Postby Cyan » 09 Feb 2015 07:52

Hi,

Sometimes I want to open a file in a new instance, and sometimes I want to add a file to the playlist of the most recently opened instance. I usually open my files from my file manager (explorer).

The way I imagined this would work is using double click (open with VLC because it's the default program) to open the file in a new instance.
I would like right click and selecting "Add to VLC media player's Playlist" to add the file to the playlist of an existing instance (the most recently used instance). And only if there is no instance yet start a new one.

Unfortunately it seems that both options always open the file in a new instance.

How can I alter VLC's behavior so that "Add to VLC media player's Playlist" option opens in the most recent instance, instead of always opening a new instance?

Please keep in mind I would still like to be able to have SOME files in other instances, so going into settings and allowing only one instance is not an option.

I'm using the current most recent version 2.1.5 for Windows 7 64-bits

under "show setting: simple"
I unchecked "Allow only one instance"
I unchecked "Use only one instance when started from file manager"

under "show setting: all"
I unchecked "Allow only one running instance"
I unchecked "Use only one instance when started from file manager"
I unchecked "Enqueue items into playlist in one instance mode"

other settings are as default

Cyan
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Re: Add to playlist of most recent instance

Postby Cyan » 11 Feb 2015 01:50

Has no one else tried to add something to a playlist while running multiple instances?!
If I haven't been clear on the problem at hand, or if you need more information please post, I'm still hoping someone will make my day. I have chocolate cookies, just saying.

Summary of the issue:
I would like the "Add to VLC media player's Playlist" option in the context menu (also known as the right-click menu), to open a file in an existing instance, rather than opening in a new instance.
However I would still like to be able to open SOME files in a new instance, just not all.

Cyan
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Cyan » 13 Feb 2015 23:30

Since this forum seems to be a place of many questions and little answers (no blame, it's all volunteers, I get it).
Is there an other place where I can try finding some answers?
I've done the best I can to find the solution on my own, to no avail.

Belini
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Belini » 15 Mar 2022 18:01

@Cyan I agree with you on everything you said but I also don't blame the developers as they are volunteers and shouldn't have free time to answer everyone.

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”