VLC allways opening on the wrong screen

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
dayofmone
New Cone
New Cone

VLC allways opening on the wrong screen

Postby dayofmone » 11 Jan 2015 00:35

Heyo,

I have the problem, that VLC allways opens on my second screen, no matter which display I chose in videos -> DirectX -> display device.

I can choose "Standard", "display", "\\.\DISPLAY1" and "\\.\DISPLAY2".

Also it doesn't matter, how often I pull the player from the second to the first screen, after every new start it again is on the second monitor.

My specs:

Windows 7 home premium
NVIDIA GTX 750Ti

I searched the internet, but nothing worked to fix it.
The forums here didn't have an answear either.

Thanks for any help
dayofmone

lifeoflead
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Re: VLC allways opening on the wrong screen

Postby lifeoflead » 16 Jan 2015 04:41

Just a thought, it may be something in Windows, or the Nvidia Control Panel.

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
VLC version: 4.0.0-git
Operating System: Linux, Windows, Mac

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 18 Jan 2015 10:23

Reset VLC preferences.
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
http://www.jbkempf.com/ - http://www.jbkempf.com/blog/category/Videolan
VLC media player developer, VideoLAN President and Sites administrator
If you want an answer to your question, just be specific and precise. Don't use Private Messages.

CarlS
New Cone
New Cone

Postby CarlS » 29 Jul 2017 17:40

2017 and this problem (apparently) still exists.

I have 2 monitors, one 32" and one 27". NVidia Control Panel assigns the monitors as 1 and 2, with 1 being the primary (32") monitor. When I boot up, the initial display is on Monitor 1.

The Monitors can be selectively enabled/disabled in the Nvidia Control Panel. If I set NCP to null values so that it does not affect monitor assignment, VLC defaults to screen 2. If I remove the NVidia card and use onboard ports, the same thing happens; VLC defaults to monitor 2.

If both are enabled, the initial use of VLC displays on Monitor 2 (even with VLC Prefs set Monitor 1 = 1, Monitor 2 -2, etc.) Setting VLC to display on Monitor 1 works, unless and until I exist VLC and reenter. The second and subsequent uses always results in VLC defaulting to Monitor 2.

For ref: Win10, 64bit, version 1703 (build 15063.483). i64 CPU, 16GB RAM, video NVidia GeForce 730 with 2GB RAM. (Testing also reveals that the same issue exists in the Insider Preview Build 16226.)

I am unable to find anything in the Windows Registry, or in its' various DLLs, that affect this, nor am I experiencing this issue with other media players.

My preliminary conclusion is that video card port assignment (i.e., which output is used for the second monitor) is the problem area.

Anyone solve this yet?

Almost_Honest
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Almost_Honest » 19 Nov 2018 02:19

Hiya,

The same happened to me with v3.0.4, as I couldn't find a solution I'm writing one that worked for me.

Open VLC, (with me VLC would open maximized in the screen No 2)
Restore (or un-maximize) the VLC window, (with me VLC window would be between the two screens, this is where I think the issue lies)
Pull the window to screen No 1, make sure that most part of the program window is on screen No 1, or the FULL window to be on the safe side, then close VLC without maximizing the window.
Next time you open VLC it should open on screen No 1 without being maximized, you can then maximize the windows if you wish and close the program, next time it will open maximized on screen No 1.

Hope it helps,
Cheers.

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”