Media Player can't see disk

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
PeterOx
New Cone
New Cone

Media Player can't see disk

Postby PeterOx » 18 Dec 2014 00:58

I have installed VLC 2.5.1 64x on my Toshiba, 64 bit, Windows 8.1, laptop. I do not have Windows Media Player because Windows Media Player is not installed with Windows 8 but Toshiba has provided a video player, version . What do I have to do to make VLC recognize there is a disc installed? I had initially installed the 32 bit version of the VLC but removed it presuming it was not compatible. Oddly, after I installed the 32 bit version it recognized and began to play a disc, I thought I was good to go. But I could not get it to do that again. Like the 64 bit VLC I have installed now, the 32 bit VLC never recognized a disc but for that first time. The Toshiba Video Player doesn't recognize the disc either. I had four discs, the Toshiba Video Player recognized and played one of them. They were all standard DVD format. What am I missing?

PeterOx
New Cone
New Cone

Re: Media Player can't see disk

Postby PeterOx » 18 Dec 2014 01:02

Error Messsage:

Your input can't be opened:
VLC is unable to open the MRL 'dvdsimple:///C:/Program%20Files%20%28x86%29/TOSHIBA/TOSHIBA%20DVD%20Engine'. Check the log for details.
File reading failed:
VLC could not open the file "E:\" (Bad file descriptor).
Your input can't be opened:
VLC is unable to open the MRL 'file:///E:/'. Check the log for details.

Nepheler
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Nepheler » 19 Dec 2014 08:11

I'd prefer to backup DVD to Video_TS folder then play with VLC. It's much simpler to work with DVD folder than a physical disc. May you can give it a try.

PeterOx
New Cone
New Cone

Postby PeterOx » 26 Dec 2014 03:06

The E drive will be recognized by my Windows 8.1 OS only if the DVDs are pristine. Otherwise, it ignores them. Since posting here, I've been able to play some DVDs without problem and VLC has functioned perfectly. I thought it was a hardware or software problem, turns out, it was because my DVDs were lightly used.

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”