Scaling not working properly on Windows 8

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
NetWhisper
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Scaling not working properly on Windows 8

Postby NetWhisper » 24 Nov 2014 10:34

Premise: I have v2.1.5 running on both Windows XP and Windows 8.

Issue: scaling (involved keys = o / Alt+o / Alt+Shift+o) is working properly on XP, but not on Windows 8... and I'd bet this is also a Vista / Windows 7 issue.

Specifically, when zooming beyond the fit-level (thus working with frames theoretically larger than the actual display's), the frame gets cropped but not properly: theoretically, the whole screen should be used, but instead, the more I zoom further the thicker an "intruder" black-bar rise from the bottom. This happens when running on dual monitor. When in single monitor it's even worse: an additional black-bar also rise from the right.

Under these circumstances, switching trough crop and aspect ratios produce additional crazy results. By the way, observing how the image changes (size/aspect) it SEEMS like cropping actually takes place BEFORE the aspect-ratio-resizing (while theoretically the later should occur first).

As I said, none of these problems displays on XP, so... I'm not an expert here... but it FEELS like the routine adapting the scaled-viewport has partially lost compatibility, possibly querying the system with parameters that are no longer supported on newer versions of Windows, or the same parameters are now insufficient.

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”