screen capture

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
rere
New Cone
New Cone

screen capture

Postby rere » 25 Oct 2014 17:22

Hi everyone!

I was wondering how to do a screen capture on my computer? I am very bad with computers. Anyway I was wondering how to do this without transmitting the data to the web. VLC has a stream option that is there, but I dont want to stream it to other places. I have used it and it created a video that I think I can access (I dont know how yet). My main goal is to make a video tutorial with sound (from the computer) on the screen. I read the privacy policy for VLC and it says it doesnt record anything but was wondering if someone else though could have access to my computer or camera/mic when I "stream." Or where the streaming goes for that matter because I thought streaming meant you play a video/audio on your screen to another location. Is there another way to do it or is the way that I am planning on doing it safe?

Thanks!

lewtwo
Blank Cone
Blank Cone
VLC version: varies
Operating System: windows, linux, andr

Re: screen capture

Postby lewtwo » 27 Oct 2014 01:50

The solution is to use DirectShow as an alternative input.

Take a look at
http://opensource.about.com/od/tutorial ... -Vlc_6.htm

Then take a look at http://superuser.com/questions/612186/h ... dia-player

Code: Select all

VLC by default comes with a "screen input" option, to capture the desktop. Unfortunately it appears there’s a bug (status: closed wontfix), so currently it can only capture video. The solution is to use DirectShow as an alternative input. With Directshow, you can choose your video and your audio input device separately, and they do work together out of the box. So first go and download the direct show screen capture input filter from here. Next setup your sound card to be able to capture wave out. If it is not there as an option then you may find some helpful notes here. Now open VLC, choose Media menu -> Stream -> Capture Device tab. Set Capture mode to "Directshow", set Video device name to "screen-capture-recorder", and set Audio device name to "virtual-audio-capturer". Now click on "stream" and follow instructions.
"From Here" is http://sourceforge.net/projects/screencapturer/files/

rere
New Cone
New Cone

Postby rere » 27 Oct 2014 12:28

THANK YOU!

So just to make sure though the stream in the options menu just means it collects the data from my screen and doesnt necessarily transfer the data over the web right?

lewtwo
Blank Cone
Blank Cone
VLC version: varies
Operating System: windows, linux, andr

Postby lewtwo » 28 Oct 2014 01:15

Correct --- IF you are directing it to your local file system.

rere
New Cone
New Cone

Postby rere » 28 Oct 2014 16:17

Thank you so much for all your help.

How do I make sure I am directing it to my local device though? Is there a box I need to click or is it automatic?

rere
New Cone
New Cone

Postby rere » 03 Nov 2014 16:00

So how would I direct it to a local file system?

willguty
New Cone
New Cone

Postby willguty » 07 Feb 2015 11:05

So this is what I have on my screen and I was wondering if it was directed to my local system thingy. I have no url in the network box thingy. No boxes filled in the file tab. Only the dvd box is checked and the capture device thingy says direct show and the other 2 options say default. Is this directed to my local system? Do I need to check something or click something else? Thanks!

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”