Where is the Log, really???

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
DrWattsOn
New Cone
New Cone

Where is the Log, really???

Postby DrWattsOn » 24 Sep 2014 22:09

I have been checking the entire Menu and Submenu system of VLC 2.1.5, as well as over an hour
looking online at the FAQ and Forum.videolan.org pages. I hope this can be considered "due diligence"
on my part. The only explicit answer I found to the location of the Log is
"you should be able to find the log in - C:\Program Files\VideoLAN\VLC if you're on windows."
Most of the thousands :!: of replies to this question or questions containing this question, never
provided any explicit answer. To me that means there is no "Log". Everyone seems to want to help
solve the problem that brings up the popup that says "Check the Log for details", and evades answering
"Where do we find the Log?". Since the only answer posted was (quoted earlier, above)
"... you should be able to find the log in - C:\Program Files\VideoLAN\VLCif you're on windows."
and since I run Windows 7 x 64 (Home), of course I checked Program Files (x86), where it was installed.
I can find nothing that I can recognize as a "Log" except uninstall.log, either in VLC or its sub-directories.
:?: So please, Where is the Log, really??? :?:
And if you have the time, just how should I have looked for it successfully? I am not a "novice" with VLC
or Audio/Video or computers/computing (MCSE+I and 5 decades Electronics Troubleshooting Tech/Eng,
back when USA actually made things).
But now, I'm getting really old (70) and both body and mind are not even close to when I was 50, so
please be patient (not gentle, just patient). I am up to being talked down to. I just want the straight
answer to a straight question. The "second" part (how to) is in case I can prevent having to post again
("got my mind right", cite movie: "Cool Hand Luke"). :wink:
Thanks.
:geek:

PS: Suggestion: a direct link in the top menu of VLC would be nice, seeing how many times the issue has been raised.

Ludrax
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna

Re: Where is the Log, really???

Postby Ludrax » 25 Sep 2014 02:59

The only explicit answer I found to the location of the Log is
"you should be able to find the log in - C:\Program Files\VideoLAN\VLC if you're on windows."
in same topic
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=102356#p345751
PS: Suggestion: a direct link in the top menu of VLC would be nice, seeing how many times the issue has been raised.
also noted last year
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=112793

And if you have the time, just how should I have looked for it successfully?
Undocumented option

An' if ain't broke, then don't try to fix it...

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”