VLC plays picture freezes then sound loops

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
tman2010
New Cone
New Cone

VLC plays picture freezes then sound loops

Postby tman2010 » 15 Sep 2014 23:08

Hey guys,
So I have Windows 8.1 x64
running VLC media Player 2.1.5
it plays for a certain amount of time fine then picture freezes and sound jumps back a few seconds and loops

I've tried uninstalling, resetting preferences and cache
VLC has never had an issue with me ever and this just started up 2 days ago

Ive tested multiple different files and they all stop at some point and loop the sound

what is going on here?

DanCalinescu
New Cone
New Cone

Re: VLC plays picture freezes then sound loops

Postby DanCalinescu » 21 Mar 2015 07:24

I have the same issue and it drives me crazy

verbal_666
Cone that earned his stripes

Postby verbal_666 » 25 Mar 2015 18:54

2.2.0 resolves this issue.

I have same problems with version previously 2.2.0, now video blocks if stream is broken, then reprise when stream reprises.

Jillity
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Jillity » 25 Mar 2015 20:04

I downloaded version 2.2.0 and it freezes. I can't play my videos on this at all now.

verbal_666

Postby verbal_666 » 25 Mar 2015 20:56

Which videos?
Stream videos?
Via LAN?
Via cable, wifi or powerline?
HD streams don't run fine via a poor wifi... you need at least a 200mbit powerline....

DrDon
New Cone
New Cone

Postby DrDon » 02 Apr 2015 13:44

Add me to the list. Dedicated HTPC. This happens playing .ts and .wtv files. I can't remember if it happens with MKV or not. But yeah, it'll freeze, the audio will loop back 20 seconds for a bit, then all is normal. During this time, the hard drive light is solid.
Win 7 x64. OS and programs on C: with all media files on a separate drive. Does it with local files or files off my wired network.

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
VLC version: 4.0.0-git
Operating System: Linux, Windows, Mac

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 20 Apr 2015 22:52

We need more info.
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
http://www.jbkempf.com/ - http://www.jbkempf.com/blog/category/Videolan
VLC media player developer, VideoLAN President and Sites administrator
If you want an answer to your question, just be specific and precise. Don't use Private Messages.

roguewarrior
New Cone
New Cone

Postby roguewarrior » 23 Apr 2015 04:02

Please help. I use wtv files that are created from my HTPC that gets the TV info over antenna. It saves the files in wtv to the disk, mce on Win7, 32 bit. Then I copy them to my laptop, on a mac, and since 2.x or whatever the version, the playback is painful!

Yes, you can play the files, these files are all HDTV 2-10GB or so. The problem is that if I skip - VLC will take 10 to 20 seconds to skip it! Please help, moving along a file is painful, so skipping commercials is very ugly on playback. MKV play GREAT! No skipping, no stalling, nada issue. Just these HDTV wtv files

TIA

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
VLC version: 4.0.0-git
Operating System: Linux, Windows, Mac

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 04 May 2015 16:24

When did it work well?
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
http://www.jbkempf.com/ - http://www.jbkempf.com/blog/category/Videolan
VLC media player developer, VideoLAN President and Sites administrator
If you want an answer to your question, just be specific and precise. Don't use Private Messages.

Diae
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Diae » 07 Jun 2015 10:20

I've been experiencing this problem consistently on lan streams. It happens on all types of videos streamed across my local network - details are as follows:

Network: Server, HTPC, router (Asus RT-N56U), 500 Mbit Devolo Powerline adaptors delivering 250 Mbit+ on all connections.
HTPC: 4Ghz dual core amd apu, gigabit ethernet, 8gb ram, 120gb ssd, 1tb seagate barracuda storage drive, Windows 10 Preview (10027-latest)
Server: Athlon II x3 440, 6gb ram, 2tb Toshiba hdd, 3gb Western Digital hdd, gigabit ethernet, Windows 8.1.

The exact nature of the problem is this: I stream my videos from the server to the HTPC. Both are connected to powerlines, and both have approximately 250 Mb/s worth of data coming in. The vast majority of the videos I watch are series, usually 130MB-350MB per episode. About 8 out any ten videos will exhibit this issue.
The video will initially play with no problems, but after an indeterminate amount of time (has happened at any time between about 3 minutes in and 58 minutes in) the video will stop, and the sound will continue for a brief period then loop back on itself to the moment of when the video stopped. Sometimes this will resolve itself after a couple of minutes, and other times vlc will crash and need to be killed via End Process in the task manager. I have noticed that whenever the process has to be killed, it isn't using much memory, but the audio is still playing after the window has closed. Also, Windows file explorer tends to be searching the window at the time, and can occasionally need to be refreshed.

Thanks for your time guys.

EdwinE
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby EdwinE » 12 Jun 2015 10:08

For Jean Baptiste... I guess this is a windows resource issue... I am having it too on a 9 year old laptop running the latest VLC player compatible with Windows XP ( i refuse to update to Windows 7 @ home ). It happens for me when i'm doing a lot of disc interactions ( paging to & from disk, downloading stuff at the same time etc ). When i kill all of my downloads & disc interactions VLC plays smoothly. I'm running an old Dell Lattitude D630 with an 80Gb 5.4k rpm disk , 2Gb RAM & a dual 2Ghz cpu.

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”