VLC 2.1.3 saving RTSP stream to .MP4 file?

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
rcurtin
New Cone
New Cone

VLC 2.1.3 saving RTSP stream to .MP4 file?

Postby rcurtin » 23 May 2014 00:30

I have an encoder that puts out an RTSP stream for an internal solution I am building. I want to use VLM to save the stream to a file preferably an MP4 file. I can hear and see the stream just fine in VLC. If I use the built in record function of the GUI I get nothing but a black screen with no sound. I have scoured the internet and although I do not see anyone doing quite what I am attempting I am sure VLC can do it. I have tried searching in this forum and all over the web and tried many different things.

The biggest reason I know this will work is if I use FFMPEG I get the exact result I am looking for and it is using the same encoders VLC uses. Below is the command line that works for FFMPEG and I get my .MP4 file with video and sound directly from the stream.

Code: Select all

ffmpeg -i rtsp:10.35.77.43:8000/live -metadata title="HR50" -acodec copy -bsf:a aac_adtstoasc -r 29.970 c:\test\test.mp4
How can I accomplish this same thing in VLC or using VLM channel?

For example I have some older encoders each assigned to a channel in VLM web interface that I can start and stop with .bat files and it works gloriously!! Below is the channel config I am using for the existing encoders that we are upgrading to the new ones I want to get working.

Code: Select all

new channel14 broadcast enabled setup channel14 input mmsh://159.121.40.93/hse setup channel14 output #transcode{vcodec=mp2v,acodec=mp2a}:standard{access-file,mux=ts,dst="C:\HearingRoomBackups\hse\Backup_%m_%d_%Y_%H_%M.mp4"}
So I am hoping I am just doing something wrong because I know this will work well because VLC is awesome hehe.

Please forgive me if you need logs or whatnot because I am still not sure how to provide that for you. So if you need more information please let me know and I will be glad to oblige.

rcurtin
New Cone
New Cone

Re: VLC 2.1.3 saving RTSP stream to .MP4 file?

Postby rcurtin » 27 May 2014 18:44

Is there any guidance on this at all please? I really need to get this recording and I am at such a loss now as to why it won't.

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”