view window screen position

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
Alan Hawk
New Cone
New Cone

view window screen position

Postby Alan Hawk » 18 Mar 2014 09:53

I saw this is mac osx when I did a google search but not windows os. Is it possible to save both my default preferred screen position and size? Right now VLC -usually- gets the upper left corner of the view window where I last left it, but it NEVER gets the view window dimensions right. I always have to adjust them back to where I want them, which, since the aspect ratio never changes, should always be the same. And for videos encoded at higher res, larger aspect ratio, it just pushes the right and lower edges right off the screen. There should at least be some kind of notice that I am viewing in a smaller window than intended but still leave it at my preferred viewing size till I adjust it.

sfwalt
New Cone
New Cone

Re: view window screen position

Postby sfwalt » 21 Mar 2014 22:39

I am experiencing the same issue with Win7. Hope someone has a suggestion?

kodela
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna
VLC version: 2.2.4
Operating System: Windows 10

Postby kodela » 21 Mar 2014 23:36

Simple Preferences - Interface Settings:
deselect Integrate video in interface

Advances Preferences - Video:
define Video X coordinate and Video Y coordinate for the top left corner of the video,
define under the version Rincewind Zoom video for example for half size with 0.5,
define under the version Twoflower Video scaling factor for example for half size with 0.5

Do not forget to close the settings dialog with "Save" and start the VLC new.

Alan Hawk
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Alan Hawk » 22 Mar 2014 04:14

no, I don't want to define the WHOLE screen. For example, if it's a 720p image, I want it to start at 720p size, provided it does not exceed the dimensions of my screen based on where my upper left corner is pre-defined to be. If it's default is smaller, for example 480 something, then I only have to adjust the bottom right via the grab and drag thingy to make it as big as I want. What happens currently is that it doesn't always remember where the upper left is supposed to be, and if the video is larger than what will fit in my screen, it doesn't care, just pushes the bottom and right edges right off the screen.

kodela
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna
VLC version: 2.2.4
Operating System: Windows 10

Postby kodela » 22 Mar 2014 09:53

I mean, how do you think is this with the VLC does not realize.
Last edited by kodela on 22 Mar 2014 14:28, edited 1 time in total.

Alan Hawk
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Alan Hawk » 22 Mar 2014 09:55

sorry, that sentence does not make sense.

mederi
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna
VLC version: 2.0.8
Operating System: Windows Vista/XP

Postby mederi » 22 Mar 2014 13:57

Tools > Preferences > Show settings = Simple > Interface: [ ] Resize interface to video size

There could be some information about resized video dimensions in status bar. Automatic resizing (if native video resolution is bigger than actual screen resolution) could be also improved by taking into account the position of the player so a part of the video window does not become hidden in the edge of the screen and it should be optional behaviour.

Alan Hawk
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Alan Hawk » 22 Mar 2014 22:38

right, and that is what I have it set to but it's behavior is not consistent. First, the window does not always open where I left the upper left corner last time, and second, it sometimes opens what should be large videos in a window so small you can't see anything at all until you expand it. Then of course you have the problem with large videos becoming hidden at the edges.

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”