Original size - fit to windows trouble

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
aitte
Cone that earned his stripes
Cone that earned his stripes

Original size - fit to windows trouble

Postby aitte » 09 Feb 2014 15:16

hi, i'm having this trouble since the first versions of the program, i notice this in my pc and in my laptop even if they have different hardware and software, but i'm not sure it's only a Windows problem because i had never tried on another Os, but since I haven't found this problem searching online i've assumed it occur only on windows because on other os anyone would have already found. The problem is :
When i want to play a video that is bigger than my screen resolution (for example 1920x1080 on my 1600x900 display) VLC obviously reduce the dimension in order to fit the video to the windows (both windowed and full screen) this is the option :"always fit to windows"; fo far so good.
But if I want to zoom the video on the original size,( for example because it's a 21:9 1920x1080 and i want to watch it without the black stripes at the top and at the bottom cropping the edge) i toggle the option fit to windows ( shortcut o) and...(both if I'm on window or full screen

(this is the real problem, that was an introduction)
the video became odd, the screen split in 2: 1 rectangle from the upper left of the screen shows the original size of the film, the other part of the screen freeze and show some still frame of the moment when i've toggled the option. The program itself doesn't crash, it's fully functional and if I enable "fit to window" again it's like nothing happened.
It's impossible to watch a film like this, it's strange that i've noticed this bug since the first versions and nobody have ever tried to do something because it's a common feature on other player, i've searched this formum and the web but apparently i didn't find anything.

if u don't want to read all the above write-up of the story is:"i can't watch any video that's bigger than my screen resolution in its original size".

i notice this on: pc intel core i 5 2th generation 3.1 dual core- 4 3ad, 4gb ram, windows 7 amd hd 5770 or nvidia 1gb, vlc 2.1.3 any codec
notebok intel core i5 3th genearion 2.7 etc,etc, 8 gb ram , windows 8 and 8.1 amd hd 7600m or intel hd 4000, vlc 2.1.2 both 32 and 64x
any suggestion?

this is an image to understand:
sorry for my english, i'm italian.

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
VLC version: 4.0.0-git
Operating System: Linux, Windows, Mac

Re: Original size - fit to windows trouble

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 15 Feb 2014 13:48

Your drivers are broken. Please change your video output to OpenGL in preferences.
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
http://www.jbkempf.com/ - http://www.jbkempf.com/blog/category/Videolan
VLC media player developer, VideoLAN President and Sites administrator
If you want an answer to your question, just be specific and precise. Don't use Private Messages.

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”