ActiveX control mute

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
adhawkins
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

ActiveX control mute

Postby adhawkins » 21 Nov 2013 16:06

Hi,

I'm trying to use the VLC ActiveX control to play a stream, initially using the test web page that's part of the ActiveX control source. I'm using VLC 2.1.0 with the ActiveX control from 2.0.6 (that's the easiest way of getting a combination that works).

I'm finding that when I use the Mute button on the web page (or the mute button that is rendered in the Control window) instead of silence I get a buzzing.

Has anyone else seen this? Any suggestions as to how to fix it?

Cheers

Andy

adhawkins
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Re: ActiveX control mute

Postby adhawkins » 21 Nov 2013 16:47

A bit more information:

It seems to do the same if I set the volume to zero. However, if I set the volume to a small number (say 5) then it appears to have the desired effect. Is there an issue with setting very low volume values (perhaps if it's a big step change)?

Thanks

Andy

adhawkins
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby adhawkins » 21 Nov 2013 18:31

Done a bit more digging on this, and noticed from my debugging that the ActiveX control was using the DirectX audio output, but the VLC app was configured for WaveOut.

If I configure the VLC app to use DirectX, it suffers from the same problem. If I add code to the ActiveX control to select WaveOut (using libvlc_audio_output_set) then the ActiveX control works Ok.

Couple of questions:

1. Any reason why the DirectX audio mute isn't working?
2. Any reason why the ActiveX control selects DirectX in preference to WaveOut? What is the default if none is explicitly selected?
3. I've coded it so that the ActiveX control goes through the list of available outputs, and selects WaveOut if it finds it. Is this approach sensible? Any downsides?

Thanks

Andy

adhawkins
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby adhawkins » 22 Nov 2013 11:26

For what it's worth, I've also tried it in 2.1.1. I get the same behaviour (buzzing on mute if I use the DirectX audio output, fine on the Wave audio output).

Andy

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”