disable auto-update/popup notification at installation

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
brainy84
New Cone
New Cone

disable auto-update/popup notification at installation

Postby brainy84 » 16 Oct 2013 19:02

Hi,

i use vlc 2.1.0 64bit with windows 7 pro x64. I always used the 32bit-Version of vlc.
I want do deploy vlc to our clients. In older 32bit versions i managed it to deploy a modified vlcrc-file after installation to %appdata%\vlc. With vlc 2.1.0 64bit this doesnt work anymore. My intention is to disable auto-update and the notification popup at the beginning.

Can anyone help me with this issue or tell me a better way to fix my problem.

What i have tried at least: I installed nightly build and looked at the documentation of videolan. But it looks like, the vlcrc-file isnt used at the 64bit/vlc2.1

kind regards

brainy84

Ludrax
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna

Re: disable auto-update/popup notification at installation

Postby Ludrax » 17 Oct 2013 13:25

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=113538
In older 32bit versions i managed it to deploy a modified vlcrc-file after installation to %appdata%\vlc. With vlc 2.1.0 64bit this doesnt work anymore.
OK, we have about 1000 user with roaming profiles, so I think the vlcrc file is not our way.
An' if ain't broke, then don't try to fix it...

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
VLC version: 4.0.0-git
Operating System: Linux, Windows, Mac

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 21 Oct 2013 13:14

Noone seems to want this feature badly enough to actually code it.
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
http://www.jbkempf.com/ - http://www.jbkempf.com/blog/category/Videolan
VLC media player developer, VideoLAN President and Sites administrator
If you want an answer to your question, just be specific and precise. Don't use Private Messages.

brainy84
New Cone
New Cone

Postby brainy84 » 23 Oct 2013 12:54

Hi,

in older versions it always worked fine. Why did u change then?

kind regards

brainy84

Rémi Denis-Courmont
Developer
Developer
VLC version: master
Operating System: Linux

Postby Rémi Denis-Courmont » 28 Oct 2013 16:32

I don't think this was changed, though there is always the possibility of a bug in the Windows 64-bits version.
Rémi Denis-Courmont
https://www.remlab.net/
Private messages soliciting support will be systematically discarded

ekgcorp
New Cone
New Cone

Postby ekgcorp » 19 Dec 2013 16:12

The fix that I found is as follows. (and its working with version 2.1.2)(on Windows 7)
  • Install VLC Media Player on a pc.
  • make all config change that you want every user to have, like Turning off AutoUpdate in the Privacy / Network section
  • copy VLC folder from current logged on user - ex C:\Users\%USERNAME%\AppData\Roaming\vlc
  • Create any sort of EXE, or VBS that will use the Environment Variable %USERNAME% to install the copied files above
  • Install this EXE with your VLC install, plus dont forget to add Active Setup Registry Keys with a StubPath back to your EXE
As each user login to pc, Active Setup will run your exe that copies all of the VLC configured files into the new users AppData folder. Then when they run it for the first time it will already be configured.

If your Users are using Run Advertised Programs via SCCM then you can have it reboot after install so that, that user gets the configured files.

ekgcorp
New Cone
New Cone

Postby ekgcorp » 30 Dec 2013 18:05

Needed to append this to my steps... instead of seaching for %USERNAME% you could search for environment variable %APPDATA% this will display the entire path - ex: "C:\Users\EKGCORP\AppData\Roaming\" So the EXE that you create to copy your files would be set to %APPDATA%\vlc

freeman
New Cone
New Cone

Postby freeman » 08 Sep 2023 12:48

Hello VLC Team,

Why is it still not possible to globally disable auto updates and the metadata network access popup for all users? For example, by placing a file in the program directory "C:\Program Files\VideoLAN\VLC." Currently, it can only be done through the APPDATA directory! As an administrator of several thousand users, it is simply cumbersome to have to provide user settings separately for this software package. Furthermore, the users do not have administrator rights on the managed clients. The users are in a managed environment. Please, have mercy and integrate this feature in the next version :-| It would be even better if you could also hide the "Check for Updates..." option in the menu.

Thank you, and hopefully happy coding! 8)
Freeman

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”