FullScreen on 2nd monitor configuration question

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
jforeman
New Cone
New Cone

FullScreen on 2nd monitor configuration question

Postby jforeman » 01 Oct 2013 00:36

I would like to configure VLC Media Player to use in presentations. (On a projector from my laptop.) I would like to have the video play on the second screen in a fullscreen mode with a "clean" output while having the controls on screen 1. By a clean output I mean with no controls, title bars, play/pause indicators, etc. I'd like to see just the video or a black screen when there is no video playing.

I am running VLC 2.1.0 Rincewind on Windows 7.

The best I have so far is under Video Effects-Advanced using clone. The only problems here are (1) the title bar at the top, (2) the play and pause indicators) and (3) the fact VLC does not remember where I put the clone video the next time I start VLC. (The remembering part is not that important to me, but it would be nice.)

If you have suggestions on how I can configure VLC to do this I would greatly appreciate it.

Thank you.

Jon

ferdilouw
Blank Cone
Blank Cone
VLC version: 2.2.2
Operating System: windows

Re: FullScreen on 2nd monitor configuration question

Postby ferdilouw » 02 Dec 2013 07:32

I followed the advice at
http://www.inlet.co.nz/tutorials/micros ... in-windows
I could not find the info in the wiki or forum.
It worked fin on a Windows Vista laptop connected to a projector using VLC 1.1.11 and DirectX
However if I upgrade to VLC 2.1.10 no setting gives me an option to "Disply device" other than "Default".
So I went back to VLC 1.1.7
The only snag is that the FullScreen is often not optimized when I start a wide screen video clip causing me to have to hit "F" twice.

I don't know what clone is.

kodela
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna
VLC version: 2.2.4
Operating System: Windows 10

Postby kodela » 02 Dec 2013 14:13

Hi

Windows system-key + p

kodela

ferdilouw
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby ferdilouw » 24 Mar 2014 00:13

Jon,

To have all your controls on 1 screen and just the video on an external monitor,
try v. 2.1.3 with DirectX where you can select the DISPLAY number:

Tools -> Advanced Preferences (-> Show settings = All) -> Video -> Output modules
and then on the right-hand side select "Video output modules " = "DirectX (DirectDraw) video output "
Tools -> Advanced Preferences (-> Show settings = All) -> Video -> Output modules -> DirectX
and then on the right-hand side select "Name of desired display device" = "\\.\DISPLAY2" (or "\\.\DISPLAY1" if required)

Also easier from:
Tools -> Simple Preferences (-> Show settings = Simple) -> Video
and then on the right-hand side
select Output = "DirectX (DirectDraw) video output"
select "Display device" = "\\.\DISPLAY2" (or "\\.\DISPLAY1" if required)

I'm not using clone - have only 1 video image playing on the projector.

auralarch
Blank Cone
Blank Cone
VLC version: 2.2.6
Operating System: Mac OS, Win7 x64

Postby auralarch » 25 Jun 2014 09:52

Jon,

To have all your controls on 1 screen and just the video on an external monitor,
try v. 2.1.3 with DirectX where you can select the DISPLAY number:

The problem with this solution is using DirectX with Windows 7. Windows 7 doesn't really seem to like DirectX- or at least aero doesn't like DirectX. Using DirectX on Windows 7 will force-change your desktop to basic color scheme (no transparency). Making this change is rather disruptive and can cause instability in Windows & with the display drivers.
Computers:
ASUS Sabertooth X58 Core i7 930 (ALC892 onboard audio), 24GB DDR3, Sapphire Radeon HD 6870; Gigabyte X58A-UD3R (ALC898) Core i7 920, 18GB DDR3, XFX Radeon HD 5770; MacPro5,1 8GB RAM; Toshiba Satellite L640
OSes:
Mac OS X 10.8.5; Windows 7 Ultimate (x64)

auralarch
Blank Cone
Blank Cone
VLC version: 2.2.6
Operating System: Mac OS, Win7 x64

Postby auralarch » 28 Jun 2014 11:32

So, at least I have finally managed to get the video to go to the display I want it to automatically. BUT it only works if I force VLC to use DirectX as the output engine (the default for Windows Vista & above is Direct3D). That wouldn't be a problem if DirectX video output were compatible with Windows Aero (enables transparency effects of taskbar & window titlebars & etc.). Launching VLC in this mode forces the display driver to reset (all my monitors go black & reset) and then Windows basic theme is enabled. It is recommended to use Direct3D for Windows Vista & newer: VLC FAQ.

I have seen many times that this feature was restored/fixed with the release of 2.1.3, but apparently that is really only for Windows XP & older since by default VLC is set to use Direct3D on Vista & newer and changing to DirectX is not recommended (because of the reasons I described). So is there another way to get this feature back that is "recommended" which is compatible with Windows Aero themes?

Thank you so much!
Computers:
ASUS Sabertooth X58 Core i7 930 (ALC892 onboard audio), 24GB DDR3, Sapphire Radeon HD 6870; Gigabyte X58A-UD3R (ALC898) Core i7 920, 18GB DDR3, XFX Radeon HD 5770; MacPro5,1 8GB RAM; Toshiba Satellite L640
OSes:
Mac OS X 10.8.5; Windows 7 Ultimate (x64)

ferdilouw
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby ferdilouw » 29 Jun 2014 22:55

Hi auralarh!

I still hope there is something better than DirectX - I know very little about all the technical aspects.
Just last week I had to present a hi-res video to a large audience and DirectX did not correctly resize the video to the screen - on the righthandside about 30% was cut off - no matter what I tried.
With smaller videos I still have to resize to full screen every time I switch to a new video clip - causing some nasty flashing.

I'm glad you made progress. (I have switched off Aero.)

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”