What controls playlist screen showing at startup?

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
Chrisi22
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

What controls playlist screen showing at startup?

Postby Chrisi22 » 23 Jun 2013 00:07

In VLC 2.0.6 / 2.0.7, Vista x64, I must've made a change in prefs (or something changed) - that now the playlist (full screen) displays at every start. It's always empty for me, so no point.

Can't find setting in prefs to not show it, but the vlc-qt-interface.ini file shows "playlist-visible=true" & under Playlist section, "view-mode=1".

I can change those manually, but still don't know what I changed in prefs that started showing the playlist instead of video screen.

Thanks.

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
VLC version: 4.0.0-git
Operating System: Linux, Windows, Mac

Re: What controls playlist screen showing at startup?

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 23 Jun 2013 14:01

It saves the last state.
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
http://www.jbkempf.com/ - http://www.jbkempf.com/blog/category/Videolan
VLC media player developer, VideoLAN President and Sites administrator
If you want an answer to your question, just be specific and precise. Don't use Private Messages.

Chrisi22
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Chrisi22 » 23 Jun 2013 20:19

Maybe it's supposed to save the last state, but if the video screen is showing when I close VLC, when reopen it, the playlist screen is displayed - even though empty.
It was NOT saving the last state.

That is, while it had the playlist entries mentioned, in the .ini file. It apparently saved the state - once - of showing the playlist - then didn't change that .ini setting, once I reopened & closed VLC, while video screen was displayed (several times).

So, deleted / changed the .ini settings manually ( "playlist-visible=false") & now the video screen displays at opening.

psl924
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby psl924 » 25 Jul 2013 19:47

I think my issue is the same or close to it. I don't use the video portion of VLC 2.0.7 at all, except for the toolbar. The playlist is a shortcut on my w8.1pre laptop's link toolbar. It used to open on click, by itself, I believe, or maybe the video screen also opened- either way, the playlist was there & active (not the video screen), on immediate 1st click. Now, I have to go to the "view" menu on the video screen, or use the playlist button at the video screen's bottom. Then I go to the playlist, then doubleclick on the preferred stream, if I'm changing the 'cast from the top item, which does start playing on startup as before.
-How can I make the playlist open on VLC start, by itself? Also note, on my ancient Mac OS 10.5.8, I can click on the "vlc playlist" alias in the dock, and that's it - the app opens, the playlist only is displayed, & the last open stream starts. That's the choice I would like on the win laptop (above), & did not locate it in prefs. Thank you.
In VLC 2.0.6 / 2.0.7, Vista x64, I must've made a change in prefs (or something changed) - that now the playlist (full screen) displays at every start. It's always empty for me, so no point.

Can't find setting in prefs to not show it, but the vlc-qt-interface.ini file shows "playlist-visible=true" & under Playlist section, "view-mode=1".

I can change those manually, but still don't know what I changed in prefs that started showing the playlist instead of video screen.

Thanks.

jimmyb
New Cone
New Cone

Postby jimmyb » 19 Aug 2013 20:16

I had the same issue..

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”