AVI File (Uncompressed) is skewed

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
tomysshadow
New Cone
New Cone

AVI File (Uncompressed) is skewed

Postby tomysshadow » 06 Apr 2013 23:36

I love VLC Player, it can play virtually anything to some extent. However, I have been experiencing three problems with it, the first one is the one I've seen happen the most and is easiest to reproduce. Whenever I play an uncompressed AVI file created in VirtualDub in Full Processing Mode, the file appears skewed. This happens every single time. Realplayer and Windows Media Player both play the file properly. I have the latest version. I can upload a sample file if necessary.

However, I don't just want to switch to either of them because sometimes Realplayer or Windows Media Player will play MJPG AVI files upside down, which doesn't happen in VLC Player. It only happens with uncompressed AVI files and I don't know any players that can play them both properly. Changing the Output in the Video Preferences does nothing, which is weird because usually at least one of them work.

My second problem seems to happen at random. When playing a DVD that has DVD-ROM, sometimes VLC Player won't do anything. When you go to open the disc, it just sits there with the timeline empty. One disc that I've noticed this happening with is the first Dreamworks Madagascar DVD. I don't have that DVD anymore so I can't test if it is working now but it was happening before.

Finally, I've had a problem playing some MP3 files. Strangely, VLC isn't the only player that does this. The MP3 file I am trying to play is at 44100 Hz, 128 kbps, and joint stereo. When I play it, the music sounds like it is skipping/clipping - I am wondering if it is because the sound is too loud, but I can play a video at the same volume (FLV video) without skipping. This also happens on my Nintendo 3ds Sound player when I put the MP3 on the SD Card. Realplayer plays it correctly but I don't want to switch to it, takes forever to start up and so many hidden menus.

I couldn't find any ways to fix these on my own so I am hoping there is either a solution I don't know or they can be fixed soon. Thanks for the great software. :)

tomysshadow
New Cone
New Cone

Re: AVI File (Uncompressed) is skewed

Postby tomysshadow » 11 Apr 2013 23:20

It's been almost a week, bump

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”