Cant get digital AC3 via SPDIF only PCM

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
zappos

Cant get digital AC3 via SPDIF only PCM

Postby zappos » 26 Jul 2005 21:42

Hi, I've had a good look round the forum and cant find an answer to this. I have just upgraded to the latest version, 0.8.2 on Win XP SP2. I can get 5.1 audio into my decoder over SPDIF but it is PCM and not AC3. I cannot find a way in the preferences to pass AC3 straight through. I'm sure I am missing something simple - can someone point me in the right direction! Thanks.

yaniv

Which kind of sound card do you have ?

Postby yaniv » 07 May 2006 17:51

the reason for this question, is becuase I'm having the Audigy ZX card, and in it's configuration you can choose whether to use the built-in decoder for Dolby/DTS or to send it directly to the Reciever (choose the second option).

DJ
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby DJ » 07 May 2006 19:26

1. It would be smart to upgrade VLC
http://downloads.videolan.org/pub/video ... 8.5-test4/

2. To use S/PDIF you need to turn it on in Preferences, Audio check the box marked "Use the S/PDIF audio output when available" then press Save and close the player.

3. You may also need the change the option in Preferences, Audio, Output modules. From the pull down select "Win32 waveOut extension output" then press Save and close the player.

Your S/PDIF port should now be active and work.

Johan-El

Postby Johan-El » 09 May 2006 21:05

I can not get out the AC3 stream over SPDIF. I'm using 0.85. I have tested both DirectX and waveOut, with no result. The strange thing is that Windows Media Player outputs the AC3 stream without problem from the same video file.

DJ
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby DJ » 10 May 2006 08:22

VLC is NOT a Direct Show player! WMP doesn't support a52 (ac3) natively. Considering S/PDIF is a standard it can't work for some and not others. I would suggest going back and retracing your steps as outlined above. It's not uncommon for there to be stuttering when using DirectX as this can cause a timing issue for S/PDIF.

jester805
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby jester805 » 15 Jan 2007 22:59

I can not get out the AC3 stream over SPDIF. I'm using 0.85. I have tested both DirectX and waveOut, with no result. The strange thing is that Windows Media Player outputs the AC3 stream without problem from the same video file.
So you got Windows Media Player to output in Dolby Digital? I'm having the same problems as you, but WMP would only send it in Stereo. What version of WMP do you have and how did you get it to send DD?

THanks

DJ
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby DJ » 16 Jan 2007 00:29

ac3filter is a good choice for Direct Show.

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”