vlc default for mkv still open with window always

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
Spanky
New Cone
New Cone

vlc default for mkv still open with window always

Postby Spanky » 29 Mar 2013 09:12

Don't know if it is okay to post this question here but as I'm having Windows Xp Computer on which problem is so.
From the start I made VLC a default player for .mkv files & everything was going ok but from some time there is no file icon to .mkv files & double clicking .mkv files always opens "Open With" window even if I clicked on always open with this in that window, it still opens up open with. there is that icon for all .mkv files that we get for no extension files.
please help.

TypX
Developer
Developer

Re: vlc default for mkv still open with window always

Postby TypX » 29 Mar 2013 11:18

You should be able to reassociate mkvs to vlc using Tools->Preferences and then use the association menu that should be at the bottom of the interface thumbnail. (Or the "open with" should allow you to use always the same software by clicking a checkbox).

Spanky
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Spanky » 29 Mar 2013 11:27

I already did all of it but still no luck because even after setting it default to all media & all .mkv files shows that the vlc player is default for them in the properties of the file but still no vlc icon on that file & there is always "Open with" window. The properties of the files says:
Type of File: VLC Media File (.mkv)
Opens with: VLC Media Player 2.0.5
& still it opens the file with "Open with" window every time. I even tried un/install, still no luck.

TypX
Developer
Developer

Postby TypX » 29 Mar 2013 15:42

It's only on one file? If so maybe it lacks an extension and windows hides it (somewhere in the windows properties) and just renaming it to "add extension" won't do much.

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”