Blu-Ray Support

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
Mr Wolf
Cone that earned his stripes

Re: Blu-Ray Support

Postby Mr Wolf » 10 Feb 2018 17:13

I've just updated to VLC 3.0.0 both on Windows 7 e Windows 10. I've tried both 32 and 64 bit versions, and I can confirm blu-rays now plays, even with menus!!! :D
To me, it works with files installed with AACS Updater in the VLC folder (libaacs.dll, libbdplus.dll, libgcrypt-20.dll, libgpg-error6-0.dll) that you can still find here:
https://sourceforge.net/projects/dvdx/f ... 20Updater/
Install the 32 bit version if you're using VLC 32 bit and the 64 bit version if you're using VLC 64 bit.
The AACS Updater project seems dead, anyway, and you still need an updated KEYDB.cfg file with the keys to decrypt blu-rays.

uncreativeusername
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby uncreativeusername » 10 Feb 2018 19:56

This is even weirder. Thanks to Mr Wolf for giving me the idea to put the libgcrypt-20.dll and libgpg-error6-0.dll in my VLC folder, but (and I've been working on this since I got VLC 3.0 running with blurays again) now colors are appearing all weird. Things like the whole screen being covered with colors, even where the black bars are for for 2.35/4:1 movies. It's also got an issue with just dropping buffers for some movies (I only noticed this with Red 2, but it can't just be DTS-HD MA as a whole), and the colors weirdly don't appear on some other newer movies. As previously stated, I got FindVUK to work again, and the keys are all proper, and these moies aren't BD+ encrypted, but 3.0 did add support for BD+v2008. This also can't just be some movie decryption error, as these work with 2.2.4 without error, even without decryption plugins and just an on-the-fly decryptor. I'm wondering if this is an issue with libbluray, though, but I have no clue.

the first picture is form WarGames, and the second one is from Red 2, as that color bar issue is rampant throughout the movie.

Mr Wolf

Postby Mr Wolf » 10 Feb 2018 22:10

Well, if you have that problem only with certains blu-rays, the problem could be just in the enconding of those discs. I don't know or at least can't remember now a tool to check disc encoding.
Perhaps, you can try some options in VLC, as hardware acceleration, but I'm not an expert in this and I can't understand many settings. :roll:
I have tried only a few blu-rays of mine for now and they all seem to play well.

However, here:
http://vlc-bluray.whoknowsmy.name/
there's an updated version of KEYDB.cfg.
Oddly enough, the number of the keys (24010) is the same of my file, which I updated several month ago.

uncreativeusername
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby uncreativeusername » 10 Feb 2018 23:02

After some fiddling with the advanced settings, I disabled "Hardware Decoding" in FFmpeg, which was what 2.2.4 had it set as, and that was the trick. Unfortunately, now it hogs system resources, but I never found it to be that much of an issue in the first place with the old versions. I've never used something that requires most of the CPU alongside VLC, unless I'm doing an HandBrake encode or compressing something with 7-Zip.

Mr Wolf

Postby Mr Wolf » 11 Feb 2018 11:40

Oh, that's a great catch! I checked, and mine was set to "automatic". Actually, as far I can remember, I never saw VLC stress CPU in my two main notebooks (one with Windows 7 (five years old) and the other with Windows 10, both Intel Core i7 and dedicated graphic card), even playing blu-rays.
HandBrake stresses a lot the CPU - I made many, many mkvs from DVDs. :)

Mr Wolf

Postby Mr Wolf » 12 Feb 2018 11:34

Anyone knows if it's possible to open ripped blu-rays with menus? I have some blu-rays which are "Region A" and that will play only if ripped.
But, if I open BDMW -> Streams (the folder in which m2ts video files are contained), I have to click "Next" several times to reach the movie. And the "Titles" menu is not available.
I also tried to select the main folder (containing all), but nothing.

uncreativeusername
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby uncreativeusername » 16 Feb 2018 07:11

I think you might need an ISO for that. I mean, 3.0 finally supports BR Menus (mostly), which is a plus, but the only issue I have now is not being able to input numbers on a remote, as it's useful for T2 Skynet Edition. Either way, I don't think you really can do that. I mean, we're fortunate enough to have menu support at all, seeing as it's a mix of BD-J and video, whereas DVD stored it all in the VOB. Menus are cool, too, because the experience feels more complete. The only issue now will be getting keys from discs, with new versions of AACS rolling out with new BR movies and trying to get the keys on the key list...

It's quite useful to rip movies to MKV, too, but unfortunately, they're pretty huge even without the lossless tracks. There's also a fix for the "Region" issue, and that is Preferences -> All Settings -> Input/Codecs -> Access Modules -> Bluray and set it to Region A.

Bob K
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Bob K » 16 Feb 2018 19:15

I used the following method to get BD support on my circa 2009 laptop running Win7 x64 Home Premium and VLC 3.0.0 x64.

• I downloaded aacs-updater-2.1.1.0-x64-FULL-setup.exe from https://sourceforge.net/projects/dvdx/f ... 20Updater/
  • I ran aacs-updater-2.1.1.0-x64-FULL-setup.exe and changed the install path to C:\Program Files\VideoLAN\VLC. This installed libaacs.dll, libbdpluss.dll, libgcrypt-20.dll, and libgpg-error6-0.dll at that location. Warning: This program installs an old 2016 version of KEYDB.cfg at C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\aacs. Make sure you overwrite this old copy with the new version of KEYDB.cfg in accordance with the steps below.
  • I did not run the AACS Updater at the end of the installation process. The internet database it tries to connect to is no longer active.
  • Note: libmmbd64.dll (which I found on my system from a MakeMKV installation) was not required in the VLC folder (or anywhere else) in order to get BD functionality.
  • I downloaded the most current KEYDB.cfg file from http://vlc-bluray.whoknowsmy.name/
  • I saved the KEYDB.cfg file to C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\aacs. Note: The KEYDB.cfg folder did not work at C:\ProgramData\aacs, C:\Windows\system32, or at C:\Program Files\VideoLAN\VLC. It only worked at C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\aacs.
With all of those files in place, I open BDs through the Media/Open Disc menu. I have to select the Blu-ray radio button before selecting Play.

The only drawback I've run into so far is no Java support for menus. I get the warning, "Java required: This Blu-ray disc requires Java for menus support. Java was not found on your system. The disc will be played without menus." Anyone know if that can be fixed? I do indeed have Java installed on my system.

I can otherwise scan on the time bar or select chapters and titles by right clicking on the screen and selecting Playback.

Mr Wolf

Postby Mr Wolf » 16 Feb 2018 21:05

Mmmm... Could it be you don't have Java 64 bit? Perhaps, it's required if you're using VLC 64 bit. I have both 32 bit and 64 bit installed.
You find it here:
https://www.java.com/en/download/manual.jsp

Mr Wolf

Postby Mr Wolf » 16 Feb 2018 21:10

I think you might need an ISO for that. I mean, 3.0 finally supports BR Menus (mostly), which is a plus, but the only issue I have now is not being able to input numbers on a remote, as it's useful for T2 Skynet Edition. Either way, I don't think you really can do that. I mean, we're fortunate enough to have menu support at all, seeing as it's a mix of BD-J and video, whereas DVD stored it all in the VOB. Menus are cool, too, because the experience feels more complete. The only issue now will be getting keys from discs, with new versions of AACS rolling out with new BR movies and trying to get the keys on the key list...

It's quite useful to rip movies to MKV, too, but unfortunately, they're pretty huge even without the lossless tracks. There's also a fix for the "Region" issue, and that is Preferences -> All Settings -> Input/Codecs -> Access Modules -> Bluray and set it to Region A.
I think changing the region could be a permanent change. I don't want to risk. :roll:

As reguards blu-ray keys, when I'll have time and will to try, I'll try with the FindVUK tool.

uncreativeusername
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby uncreativeusername » 16 Feb 2018 21:57

Actually, the way it works in VLC, from what I can tell, is a software region change, so you don't have to use region changes from your drive's firmware. The region firmware change is really only for DVDs as well, but don't quote me on that. You could also just use an on-the-fly decrypter as well, the one that I recommend is dvdfab passkey. Either way, VLC's region is only done with the software, as I've installed many different versions of VLC that change it back to B, and it hasn't done a thing to my drive.

Mr Wolf

Postby Mr Wolf » 18 Feb 2018 16:44

Ok, I've just tried to change the regional code in VLC and the blu-ray plays! :D
It must be some software trick as for DVDs, as with PowerDVD it always says region mismatch.

flummoxed
New Cone
New Cone

Postby flummoxed » 20 Feb 2018 00:04

I tried this on a 2012 laptop running W7 Pro x64 and VLC 3.0.0 64bit but this did not work for me.
I used the following method to get BD support on my circa 2009 laptop running Win7 x64 Home Premium and VLC 3.0.0 x64.
I noticed during the install that the default install path suggested by the program was C:\Program Files (x86)\VideoLAN\VLC, not the 64bit path, seems odd for the 64bit updater installing for the 64bit VLC on W7 Pro x64... is the download labeled as 64bit somehow actually a 32bit installer? Anyway, I changed it to the path you named.
  • I did not run the AACS Updater at the end of the installation process. The internet database it tries to connect to is no longer active.
Likewise.
  • I downloaded the most current KEYDB.cfg file from http://vlc-bluray.whoknowsmy.name/
  • I saved the KEYDB.cfg file to C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\aacs. Note: The KEYDB.cfg folder did not work at C:\ProgramData\aacs, C:\Windows\system32, or at C:\Program Files\VideoLAN\VLC. It only worked at C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\aacs.
I also put keydb.cfg in C:\Users\<my_username>\AppData\Roaming\aacs (and had an extra copy at C:\ProgramData\aacs from other attempts before I found this post) but it still doesn't work.

For the first disc I tried the error message says "Blu-Ray error: Your system BD+ decoding library does not work. Missing configuration?" so I tried another disc, this one the message changed to "No valid processing key found in AACS config file" but still wouldn't play.

... any other ideas?

Edit: A third disc actually did play, does this mean we need a more updated keydb.cfg file? How is this one file going to cover every possible disc ever released, without growing to a humongous size file?

Bob K
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Bob K » 21 Feb 2018 09:23

Mmmm... Could it be you don't have Java 64 bit? Perhaps, it's required if you're using VLC 64 bit. I have both 32 bit and 64 bit installed.
You find it here:
https://www.java.com/en/download/manual.jsp
Thank you. I tried Java x64 with the Tommy Boy blu ray that previously gave me the "no java" message. While I didn't receive the message, the disk would not load. When I uninstalled Java x64, I received the "no java" message but the disk once again loaded. I think I'll just put up with the error for now.

Bob K
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Bob K » 21 Feb 2018 09:33

I tried this on a 2012 laptop running W7 Pro x64 and VLC 3.0.0 64bit but this did not work for me.
Edit: A third disc actually did play, does this mean we need a more updated keydb.cfg file? How is this one file going to cover every possible disc ever released, without growing to a humongous size file?

I'm sorry. I spoke too soon.
  • My setup worked with the Tommy Boy blu ray.
  • It did not work with the new Divergent series trilogy blu ray. I also received a "no valid processing key" type of message. I do believe it's related to the KEYDB.cfg file not having the decryption keys for these particular disks.
  • There seems to be a competing effort to decrypt disks and utilize VLC. The program is called FindVUK and interfaces with various decryption programs or players to build a database of VUKs that are then used to decrypt disks. https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=172472
I think I'm giving up for now. I'll just use DVDFAB Passkey to decrypt blu rays on the fly and then play them through VLC.

Mr Wolf

Postby Mr Wolf » 21 Feb 2018 17:55

Incidentally, I found this topic:
https://forum.videolan.org/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=132544
It seems they have your same problem.

I'm going to try FindVUK too.

starbutterguy
New Cone
New Cone

Re: Blu-ray Disc Java dev available for help

Postby starbutterguy » 22 Feb 2018 17:24

Hello,I try to play a Blu-ray 3D,but the BD-J content request “your player is not supported”,it say the player do not support the Bluray 3D content

Novalis
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Novalis » 22 Feb 2018 20:08

Does anyone know if there is a way to access the bluray popup menu. If you press shift-M you'll go back to the main menu, but I found no option for the popup menu while playing the video.

Thanks.

Mr Wolf

Postby Mr Wolf » 22 Feb 2018 22:29

Pressing "up arrow" shows pop-up menu for a few blu-rays. shift+m or Titles -> Go to main menu doesn't always work for me (opens nothing). Also mouse works with a few discs.

By the way, these:
are the tiles of my "Dr. Strangelove" blu-ray. :shock: LOL

WinfridT
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby WinfridT » 28 Feb 2018 08:46

The problem with the graphical presentation errors for some blu rays seem to be windows unique. I am able to play the same blu rays on fedora 27 or openSUSE 42,3 - vlc is 3.0.0 or the nightly update for vlc 4.0.0 .

I have opened an incident on https://trac.videolan.org/vlc/attachment/ticket/18036/

EncryptedEggs
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby EncryptedEggs » 02 Mar 2018 01:03

I've had a nightmare trying to play Blurays on my computer for some time. Found this thread just now and gave it a shot. I am able to play some discs perfectly. Unfortunately, many discs I tried don't play. Here is what I did:

• Downloaded VLC 64 bit. (VLC Version 3.0.1)
  • Downloaded and ran aacs-updater-2.1.1.0-x64-FULL-setup.exe as per Bob K above, same paths and whatnot. I have the DLL files he mentioned.
  • Downloaded and placed the KEYS file in Bob K's location.
Here is the result: either it works perfectly, menus and all, or I get an error like this one: https://i.imgur.com/M5Eaa2k.png.

I've opened the keys file and searched it. I think that perhaps the key for my particular blu ray simply isn't there. I see various keys with this anime's title, but I assume they are from some other release, like the Japanese release, or maybe an older English release. So if I had the 2009 release of this show it would play, but my 2012 release of this show isn't in the cfg file.

Is there a way to find the key for a bluray that won't play? I also have PowerDVD and Leawo, both of which can play these discs. Is there some way to extract the key from those players? Or perhaps I can contact the people who maintain the whoknowsmyname and tell them of the shows of mine that do not work?

Snap, I thought I was home free. Regardless, any help much appreciated.

Mr Wolf

Postby Mr Wolf » 02 Mar 2018 14:29

For the keys, maybe you could give a look at this project:
https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=172472

EncryptedEggs
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby EncryptedEggs » 03 Mar 2018 00:10

Yep, I read the previous page of our thread and saw you folks mentioning FindVUK. Sounds fascinating and I'll give it a shot.

That said, I'm wondering if perhaps the keys are already in my .cfg file and the problem is something else. So here's the disc itself as seen in VLC: https://i.imgur.com/oaZRAow.png. Title is "Toradora! Disc 1". This is from a four disc Bluray set. Here are some relevant looking entries in the keys file:

Code: Select all

[stuff] = Toradora! Disc 1 (Toradora! Disc 1) | V | [stuff] ; MKBv47/FindVUK 1.00 [stuff] = Toradora! Disc 2 (Toradora! Disc 2) | V | [stuff] ; MKBv47/FindVUK 1.00 [stuff] = Toradora! Disc 3 (Toradora! Disc 3) | V | [stuff] ; MKBv47/FindVUK 1.00 [stuff] = Toradora! Disc 4 (Toradora! Disc 4) | V | [stuff] ; MKBv47/FindVUK 1.00

To me me that looks pretty similar. So if those keys are in fact supposed to be for this set, then they are not working. Again, here is the error: https://i.imgur.com/M5Eaa2k.png. At least one other Bluray does work.

I guess I'll just have to try FindVUK myself and see what VUKs it gives me.

EncryptedEggs
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby EncryptedEggs » 03 Mar 2018 01:00

Ok, making progress. Here's what happened. Passkey did allow VLC to play that disc! Very nice. Snagged FindVUK version 1.09 to get the VUK and not need Passkey. Turns out my DVDFab Passkey version (9230) was too new. I downgraded to 8285.I now got past that block. However, FindVUK appeared to work correctly only to a certain point. FindVUK got to this point: https://i.imgur.com/tWtM1OS.png. Then it just stops and does nothing. Here's the FindVUK log: https://pastebin.com/KL0zuKs4. So it saw that Fab had gotten the VUK, then FindVUK makes a dump, but then it doesn't get the VUK from the dump or any later steps.

I'm posting this here because I created a doom9 account to ask the creator for help but I have to wait five days to post! I can't wait to get in contact and see what's up. I'm so close to kissing PowerDVD goodbye!

EncryptedEggs
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby EncryptedEggs » 06 Mar 2018 03:36

Okay, now I can play all but one of my Blurays.

Downgraded to VUK 1.08. That got me past what I described above. I got VUKs for each disc! For a while I was getting "can't play: Region A only" screens, which was baffling to me until I discovered the Region setting in VLC. Now all the discs play and with menus.

With one exception. VLC simply shows this screen (http://i.imgur.com/FAl96qm.jpg) and stops. It's a Region A disc. VLC is set to Region A (http://i.imgur.com/yvldeTd.jpg). For that disc, I have the VUK that FindVUK got from DVDFab Passkey and it appears to be legit. To confirm, I have also played the disc just using DVDFab running with VLC. I have played the disc in PowerDVD and it's fine. In Leawo, interestingly enough, it actually does show the "can't play: only for USA and Canada" screen...but then it goes on to play anyway, albeit with no menu.

But yeah, the disc is Region A, VLC is set to Region A, and I have the VUK. For some reason I'm told "can't play: only for USA and Canada."

But hey, this is progress from thinking it was impossible, to playing a few, to inching forward and now can play all but one. It's been an enjoyable week of problem solving. Some other time I think I'll post somewhere about it again and hopefully get into that disc finally. There must be a log file or some such that can tell us what's going on here.

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”