Blu-Ray Support

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
Chris Kelly
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Re: Blu-Ray Support

Postby Chris Kelly » 21 May 2021 18:13

That's not my problem. MakeMKV decrypts just fine when I load a disc with VLC. Right noww, since I upgraded to Windows 10 21H1 Home Edition and VLC 3.0.14 two days ago, if I have Java 8 or 10 installed, it tries to load the disc's menus, but gets stuck. When trying Java 7, 11, or 16, VLC plays discs without menus and tells me Java has not been installed. When I figured out how to get menus working a few months ago while I had Windows 10 Pro 20H2, I forget what version of VLC I was on at the time. Until we figure this out, I'll be playing Blu-rays without menus and choosing features by title number.
I changed the MakeMKV Integration preferences, but the change does not work.
"Blu-ray error:
No valid host certificate found in AACS config file.
Your input can't be opened:
VLC is unable to open the MRL 'bluray:///D:/'. Check the log for details."

https://forum.makemkv.com/forum/viewtop ... =4&p=89835

Chris Kelly
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Chris Kelly » 26 May 2021 04:50

I was successful with the procedure for playing Blu-rays without a separate decrypter. However, I still can't get menus to come up. If I don't have Java installed or install Java 7, 11, or 16, VLC claims that Java is not installed and plays Blu-rays without menus. With Java 8 or 10 installed, VLC tries to load the menus, but is stuck on disc loading. Is this a known issue with VLC version 3.0.14? Or is this a known issue when upgrading to Windows 10 spring 21H1?

Chris Kelly
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Chris Kelly » 26 May 2021 09:44

My last post was incorrect. I thought since I didn't have MakeMKV opened, the above procedure was working. But when I unchecked all three integration options in the MakeMKV preferences then rebooted, VLC said that my input failed and that my Blu-ray disc was corrupted. So when the integration options are checked in the MakeMKV preferences, MakeMKV then runs as a subprocess even if you don't actually open MakeMKV itself.

Chris Kelly
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Did I Put KEYDB.CFG and libaacs.dll in the right places?

Postby Chris Kelly » 26 May 2021 14:30

I'm using Windows 10 21H1 Home Edition 64 bit. I installed the 64-bit version of VLC 3.0.14. I downloaded the 64-bit versions of the files from here. I put KEYDB.CFG in C:\ProgramData\aacs . I put libaacs.dll in C:\Program Files\VideoLAN\VLC . Then I rebooted my laptop. I turned on my drive. I launched VLC. I loaded a 1080p Blu-ray disc. On the play disc dialog box / screen, I chose Blu-ray and clicked the button to start playback. I got the following error.

Blu-ray error:
AACS Host certificate revoked.
VLC is unable to open the MRL 'bluray:///E:/'. Check the log for details.

Did I put the files in the right places?

Chris Kelly
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Windows Edition and Release Date, Java/Blu-ray Menus, and Playback Stability Directly from Discs

Postby Chris Kelly » 26 May 2021 16:04

Could Windows 10 home or Pro, 20H2 or 21H1 help contribute to the amount of problems?

Lotesdelere
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby Lotesdelere » 27 May 2021 12:49

Chris Kelly
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Chris Kelly » 27 May 2021 16:52

While I'm comfortable extracting files and putting them where I'm told to put them, I don't feel comfortable editing CFG files yet. So unless or until I do, my choices would be integrating MakeMKV with VLC for playing directly from the discs, , or else ripping the discs with either AnyDVD or MakeMKV and then playing them with VLC.

jimjulian
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby jimjulian » 31 May 2021 08:03

From what I've read, the following error could mean the DRM protection in the BD Player may have locked that title out.

" AACS Host certificate revoked."

TopShrop44
New Cone
New Cone

Re: Did I Put KEYDB.CFG and libaacs.dll in the right places?

Postby TopShrop44 » 08 Jun 2021 20:02

I'm using Windows 10 21H1 Home Edition 64 bit. I installed the 64-bit version of VLC 3.0.14. I downloaded the 64-bit versions of the files from here. I put KEYDB.CFG in C:\ProgramData\aacs . I put libaacs.dll in C:\Program Files\VideoLAN\VLC . Then I rebooted my laptop. I turned on my drive. I launched VLC. I loaded a 1080p Blu-ray disc. On the play disc dialog box / screen, I chose Blu-ray and clicked the button to start playback. I got the following error.

Blu-ray error:

Did I put the files in the right places?
+++++++++++
No, wrong place. Do not put KEYDB.CFG in C:\ProgramData\aacs. I had the same problem you had, and fixed it as follows:

1) Press Windows Key + R to open Run.
2) Type %Appdata% and click OK. This will put you at C:\Users\'user name'\AppData\Roaming
3) Click the New folder icon on top, and name the folder aacs so you have ...\Appdata\Roaming\aacs\
4) Open the newly created aacs folder and paste the KEYDB.cfg file there.

I am using the same version of Windows (10 21H1 Home Edition 64 bit) and VLC 3.0.14 that you are using

Laurence5905
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Laurence5905 » 05 Dec 2021 22:32

That's not my problem. MakeMKV decrypts just fine when I load a disc with VLC. Right noww, since I upgraded to Windows 10 21H1 Home Edition and VLC 3.0.14 two days ago, if I have Java 8 or 10 installed, it tries to load the disc's menus, but gets stuck. When trying Java 7, 11, or 16, VLC plays discs without menus and tells me Java has not been installed. When I figured out how to get menus working a few months ago while I had Windows 10 Pro 20H2, I forget what version of VLC I was on at the time. Until we figure this out, I'll be playing Blu-rays without menus and choosing features by title number.
I changed the MakeMKV Integration preferences, but the change does not work.
"Blu-ray error:
No valid host certificate found in AACS config file.
VLC is unable to open the MRL 'bluray:///D:/'. Check the log for details."

https://forum.makemkv.com/forum/viewtop ... =4&p=89835
So did any of the solutions posted above solve your original menus problem? I'm having a similar problem -- VLC plays discs just fine, but on *SOME* (actually a very few) discs, the menu is completely non-responsive. Arrow keys and enter key that normally do something will do literally nothing.

I'm hoping you figured this out and can tell me what you did. I'm running Windows 10 Pro v21H1, Oracle Java 8 r311, VLC v 3.0.16, and I have done all the libaacs mods in this post, so I can play Blu Rays without MakeMKV. And most Blu Ray menus work, but not all of them.

Thanks for any help you can give.

munnlete
New Cone
New Cone

Postby munnlete » 08 Jan 2022 02:31

I am having trouble getting Blu-Rays to play in VLC 3.0.16 on my latest computer. I was able to get them to work on my previous computer, with the same external Blu-Ray player, on the same version of VLC as recently as last week. So, I am aware of the appropriate libaacs file to download and save in the VLC folder, and the KEYDB to save in the %appdata% roaming folder. And I assume I followed the steps the same way again. Computer is Windows 10 Home 20H2. Oh also, the very blu-ray I'm testing with, is playing in the other computer when the same external blu-ray is hooked into it.

Here is the log:

Code: Select all

main debug: processing request item: bluray:///I:/, node: Playlist, skip: 0 main debug: rebuilding array of current - root Playlist main debug: rebuild done - 1 items, index 0 main debug: starting playback of new item main debug: resyncing on bluray:///I:/ main debug: bluray:///I:/ is at 0 main debug: creating new input thread main debug: Creating an input for 'bluray:///I:/' main debug: requesting art for new input thread main debug: using timeshift granularity of 50 MiB main debug: using timeshift path: C:\Users\tydog\AppData\Local\Temp main debug: `bluray:///I:/#1' gives access `bluray' demux `any' path `/I:/' main debug: creating demux: access='bluray' demux='any' location='/I:/' file='I:\' main debug: looking for access_demux module matching "bluray": 15 candidates main debug: looking for meta fetcher module matching "any": 1 candidates lua debug: Trying Lua scripts in C:\Users\tydog\AppData\Roaming\vlc\lua\meta\fetcher lua debug: Trying Lua scripts in C:\Program Files (x86)\VideoLAN\VLC\lua\meta\fetcher main debug: no meta fetcher modules matched main debug: looking for art finder module matching "any": 2 candidates lua debug: Trying Lua scripts in C:\Users\tydog\AppData\Roaming\vlc\lua\meta\art lua debug: Trying Lua scripts in C:\Program Files (x86)\VideoLAN\VLC\lua\meta\art lua debug: Trying Lua playlist script C:\Program Files (x86)\VideoLAN\VLC\lua\meta\art\00_musicbrainz.luac lua debug: skipping script (unmatched scope) C:\Program Files (x86)\VideoLAN\VLC\lua\meta\art\00_musicbrainz.luac lua debug: Trying Lua playlist script C:\Program Files (x86)\VideoLAN\VLC\lua\meta\art\01_googleimage.luac lua debug: skipping script (unmatched scope) C:\Program Files (x86)\VideoLAN\VLC\lua\meta\art\01_googleimage.luac lua debug: Trying Lua playlist script C:\Program Files (x86)\VideoLAN\VLC\lua\meta\art\02_frenchtv.luac lua debug: skipping script (unmatched scope) C:\Program Files (x86)\VideoLAN\VLC\lua\meta\art\02_frenchtv.luac lua debug: Trying Lua playlist script C:\Program Files (x86)\VideoLAN\VLC\lua\meta\art\03_lastfm.luac lua debug: skipping script (unmatched scope) C:\Program Files (x86)\VideoLAN\VLC\lua\meta\art\03_lastfm.luac main debug: no art finder modules matched main debug: looking for meta fetcher module matching "any": 1 candidates libbluray info: First play: 0, Top menu: 0 HDMV Titles: 5, BD-J Titles: 86, Other: 86 libbluray debug: Disc is using AACS main debug: no access_demux modules matched main debug: creating access: bluray:///I:/ main debug: (path: I:\) main debug: looking for access module matching "bluray": 27 candidates main debug: no access modules matched main debug: dead input lua debug: Trying Lua scripts in C:\Users\tydog\AppData\Roaming\vlc\lua\meta\fetcher lua debug: Trying Lua scripts in C:\Program Files (x86)\VideoLAN\VLC\lua\meta\fetcher main debug: no meta fetcher modules matched main debug: looking for art finder module matching "any": 2 candidates lua debug: Trying Lua scripts in C:\Users\tydog\AppData\Roaming\vlc\lua\meta\art lua debug: Trying Lua scripts in C:\Program Files (x86)\VideoLAN\VLC\lua\meta\art lua debug: Trying Lua playlist script C:\Program Files (x86)\VideoLAN\VLC\lua\meta\art\00_musicbrainz.luac lua debug: Trying Lua playlist script C:\Program Files (x86)\VideoLAN\VLC\lua\meta\art\01_googleimage.luac lua debug: Trying Lua playlist script C:\Program Files (x86)\VideoLAN\VLC\lua\meta\art\02_frenchtv.luac lua debug: Trying Lua playlist script C:\Program Files (x86)\VideoLAN\VLC\lua\meta\art\03_lastfm.luac main debug: no art finder modules matched main debug: changing item without a request (current 0/1) main debug: nothing to play

erace
New Cone
New Cone

Postby erace » 10 Jan 2022 21:23

I have similar issues.. using windows 10 and just installed vlc 3.0.16 I can't play blurays... tried placing the keydb.cfg in the following folders under c:\Users\********\AppData\
\ (directly in the appdata folder)
\Roaming
\Roaming\vlc
\aacs (according to https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=176924 it should be put here..

But anyway I try get the following error message:
Blu-ray error:
Missing AACS configuration file!
VLC is unable to open the MRL 'bluray:///F:/'. Check the log for details.
And in the log:
main debug: starting playback of new item
main debug: resyncing on bluray:///F:/
main debug: bluray:///F:/ is at 0
main debug: creating new input thread
main debug: Creating an input for 'bluray:///F:/'
main debug: requesting art for new input thread
main debug: using timeshift granularity of 50 MiB
main debug: using timeshift path: C:\Users\********\AppData\Local\Temp
main debug: `bluray:///F:/' gives access `bluray' demux `any' path `/F:/'
main debug: creating demux: access='bluray' demux='any' location='/F:/' file='F:\'
main debug: looking for meta fetcher module matching "any": 1 candidates
main debug: looking for access_demux module matching "bluray": 15 candidates
lua debug: Trying Lua scripts in C:\Users\********\AppData\Roaming\vlc\lua\meta\fetcher
lua debug: Trying Lua scripts in C:\Program Files\VideoLAN\VLC\lua\meta\fetcher
main debug: no meta fetcher modules matched
main debug: looking for art finder module matching "any": 2 candidates
lua debug: Trying Lua scripts in C:\Users\********\AppData\Roaming\vlc\lua\meta\art
lua debug: Trying Lua scripts in C:\Program Files\VideoLAN\VLC\lua\meta\art
lua debug: Trying Lua playlist script C:\Program Files\VideoLAN\VLC\lua\meta\art\00_musicbrainz.luac
lua debug: skipping script (unmatched scope) C:\Program Files\VideoLAN\VLC\lua\meta\art\00_musicbrainz.luac
lua debug: Trying Lua playlist script C:\Program Files\VideoLAN\VLC\lua\meta\art\01_googleimage.luac
lua debug: skipping script (unmatched scope) C:\Program Files\VideoLAN\VLC\lua\meta\art\01_googleimage.luac
Anyone any ideas???

Simon_Pete15
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Simon_Pete15 » 01 Feb 2022 15:12

I have similar issues.. using windows 10 and just installed vlc 3.0.16 I can't play blurays... tried placing the keydb.cfg in the following folders under c:\Users\********\AppData\
\ (directly in the appdata folder)
\Roaming
\Roaming\vlc
\aacs (according to https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=176924 it should be put here..
I think I see your error, you've put it into vlc, which I think is your error.

You need to follow those instructions exactly
1) Press Windows Key + R to open Run.
2) Type %Appdata% and click OK. This will put you at C:\Users\'user name'\AppData\Roaming
3) Click the New folder icon on top, and name the folder aacs so you have ...\Appdata\Roaming\aacs\
4) Open the newly created aacs folder and paste the KEYDB.cfg file there.

So you have to create a new folder in Roaming called aacs.
Open your new aacs folder and put KEYDB.cfg into it.

Do Not open this new aacs folder in vlc, just put it directly into Roaming.
Once you have done this, the list of files in Roaming will look something like:-
Yourname > AppData > Roaming
aacs
Adobe
audacity
vlc

Click on aacs to open it, then put KEYDB.cfg into it. Then close everything down so you only have your desktop open.

I've been struggling to get Blu-Ray discs to play. I got the same error as you while trying to follow the instructions on the page where I downloaded the KEYDB and liibaccs files from.
The instructions there said something like - insert keydb into C:\ProgramData\aacs. I couldn't find 'ProgramData or aacs anywhere, so dropped it into vlc.
The instructions for the liibaccs (spelling?) file were simple enough even for me :D

Simon

timelord327
New Cone
New Cone

Postby timelord327 » 25 Mar 2022 16:45

It's been a long time since I had to post here, as I was pretty solidly playing blu-rays using the MakeMkv method. However I got a few minutes in The Good, the Bad and the Ugly, when this started happening:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/12Mac6I ... sp=sharing

This has never happened before. Does anyone know if there's a way to fix this? Update, have made it into an MKV and it has no issues there. Any idea what happened in VLC to cause that?

Lotesdelere
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby Lotesdelere » 26 Mar 2022 12:02

I'm not sure to understand, is this the result of VLC conversion or a VLC playback issue ?
In both cases maybe this can help:
https://forum.videolan.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=156428

Melchior
New Cone
New Cone
VLC version: (v2.1) & (v3.0)
Operating System: Windows (XP & 7)

Postby Melchior » 05 Jul 2022 08:30

the database site listed is coming up these days as a 404 error code..
it seems to have gone MIA....
I have different versions VLCs:
  • Installed -- VLC (v3.0.17.4)_Win64

Lotesdelere
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby Lotesdelere » 05 Jul 2022 10:22

Thanks for the report, but this database is not provided, neither maintained, neither hosted by VideoLAN so nothing can be done.
Looks like there are working links in this thread:
https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=176924

Melchior
New Cone
New Cone
VLC version: (v2.1) & (v3.0)
Operating System: Windows (XP & 7)

Postby Melchior » 05 Jul 2022 13:29

thx Lotesdelere,
but the FindVUK KEYDB.cfg url still points to the 0404 error-ed webpage..
sadly.. the last update I got was on June 26th 2022 this year... the webpage disappeared after that... strangely...
I will report it on the Doom9 forums just as soon as the 5 day min reg period has passed and I can post there...

yes I understand you guys at videolan can't do anything, I just wanted to update this thread.. ;)
I have different versions VLCs:
  • Installed -- VLC (v3.0.17.4)_Win64

GSSSB
New Cone
New Cone

Postby GSSSB » 19 Jul 2022 14:55

Hi,

I've read thru this thread, and have placed the keydb.cfg file in the "C:\Users\Me\AppData\Roaming\aacs" folder, and the libaacs.dll file in the "C:\Program Files\VideoLAN\VLC" folder. I still get an "AACS Host certificate revoked" msg when I try to play a blu-ray disk.

I am running Win 10 Home (64bit)

Am I doing anything wrong?

Unfortunately I do not have any idea what I could do further to resolve this issue.

If anyone can help, I would be grateful.

Thanks!

Lotesdelere
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby Lotesdelere » 20 Jul 2022 10:36

You need a valid processing key corresponding to the MKB (Media Key Block) version of the disc, and a valid host key/certificate, and a valid VUK (Volume Unique Key) for the specific disc.
Update your .CFG files.

chane
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Still No 1080p Blu-Ray Movie Support AND Zoom Control?

Postby chane » 25 Jul 2022 00:19

Frankly, it's really sad when I read here today where someone said that as much as they love VLC it's better to switch to using PowerDVD for playing 1080p BD movies. Seriously? After all these years and all the brain power that when into originating and improving on this project-and still no 2K BD movie support? Is it DRM and/or region coding issues?

ALSO, one thing I really loved about using VLC is its zoom control AND slow motion over DVDs. Recently, I watching a favorite episode from a 60s TV show on a Fox DVD. Watching a zoomed closeup of this beautiful girl, and before that running in slow motion was magical. Plus, VLC includes the audio in slo mo, so I could hear her footsteps across the wood flooring. Quite a moment. But then I imagine what that episode from my BD edition boxed set would look and sound like if VLC could finally support commercial 2K BD playback.

As for PowerDVD, it still has no zoom control over BD movies.
https://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/97330.page

So any estimates for when I can play my Warners, Criterion Collection, Kino, Twilight Time and ShoutFactory BDs without any bugs-and with zoom and slow motion control?

CharMayCry
New Cone
New Cone

Postby CharMayCry » 29 Jul 2022 22:25

Hello, four days ago I got a Blu Ray drive and set up VLC to play my Blu Rays. I placed keydb.cfg and libaacs.dll in the correct places, and I got all of my Blu Rays playing properly. Four days later I came back to watch another Blu Ray and found that *none* of them work now. I get this error:
Blu-ray error:
Literally nothing has changed since four days ago. VLC didn't update, I didn't change any of the files, nothing. Why did this happen out of nowhere and how do I fix it?

flummoxed
New Cone
New Cone

Postby flummoxed » 30 Jul 2022 21:23

Literally nothing has changed since four days ago. VLC didn't update, I didn't change any of the files, nothing. Why did this happen out of nowhere and how do I fix it?
First thing, the simplest-to-fix explanation but not the most likely... Did windows try to "help" you by deleting "unwanted files" (ie, your keydb.cfg)? Or, are you logged in as a different user now than when you added those files (ie, are you tripping over windows virtualization functions)? Doublecheck to be sure all your files are still in their proper places.

Probably that last one you tried to play 4 days later was newer than the others. Sounds a lot like the problem described in post #88-89, #91-92 at https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php? ... ost1963936

You will need to find a newer AACS Host certificate. That means using the latest version of keydb.cfg, the best one I know is still at http://fvonline-db.bplaced.net/ (the notes above about it being gone turned out to be just a temporary problem and it is back online again). If you already have the latest from there you may be out of luck as described in #92.

Just thought of something else... if it is indeed the problem from #92, could you tell us the name of the offending disc, so the rest of us can avoid it?

EncryptedEggs
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby EncryptedEggs » 10 Aug 2022 01:03

Hello, four days ago I got a Blu Ray drive and set up VLC to play my Blu Rays. I placed keydb.cfg and libaacs.dll in the correct places, and I got all of my Blu Rays playing properly. Four days later I came back to watch another Blu Ray and found that *none* of them work now. I get this error:
[...]
An alternative that doesn't require the keys file is using MakeMKV to do the DRM stripping in the background, check the third post here: https://forum.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=20390. So basically you just open the BD like you normally would, and in the background MakeMKV gets started and does the decryption. I've stopped using the keys file ever since I discovered that this works.

Cyber Akuma
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Cyber Akuma » 24 Aug 2022 22:46

So, I have followed that Doom9 guide to the letter, even the part about copy-pasting what appears to be long-outdated keys into the now newer KEYDB.cfg file (I tried both with and without pasting that old data in) and had to change a few steps because some of them were outdated (such as installing the latest Java, which has issues with the latest VLC and I had to go a few versions back if I wanted menus to work).

And everything works fine except UHD Blu-Rays. My 1080p disks all play just fine, both with and without menus, but none of my 4K disks play. I just get "AACS Host certificate revoked". I recall reading that you need a UHD Friendly drive too, but that should also be covered. My drive is a WH14NS40 that came with 1.05 firmware that was reflashed to WH16NS60 1.02MK firmware.

MakeMKV confirms that my drive should be able to read the disks now after the reflash: https://i.imgur.com/hPSOE6x.png

and if I choose "Open Disk" in MakeMKV it is reading the disk ok so the drive itself I am guessing is not the problem.

But I am unable to get them to play in VLC. Again, 1080p disks work fine, it's only the UHD ones that do not. When I tried to Google about this problem, all the results I could find were about people who could not get ANY Blu-Ray disk to work, not just UHD ones, and most were from several years ago.

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”