VLC suddenly doesn't launch anymore

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
Opacus
New Cone
New Cone

VLC suddenly doesn't launch anymore

Postby Opacus » 11 Aug 2012 23:40

Hello,

I've been having a little trouble with my VLC Mediaplayer here. I'll try to keep it as
brief and informative as possible. I searched Google and this forum, but couldn't find
a similar thread. My apologies if I've overlooked something.

The problem
Yesterday VLC worked fine, but today it suddenly refuses to open. I click on it and
the process does appear in processes tab in the task manager, but it never shows
up in the applications tab and closes after slightly more than 5 seconds.

Attempts made to solve the problem
I've re-installed VLC, cleaned its cache and rebooted the pc and re-installed it again.
None of those worked. I've tried running it as administrator, from the shortcut and
the exe and I tried to run it by opening video files. I can still try a system recovery,
but I'd rather explore less drastic options first.

Possible causes
The most recent programs I've installed are a tablet driver for my Wacom, a new
mouse driver (Razer Syanpse) and Bioshock. Maybe this could have something to do
with it? I have made no other significant changes to the system or VLC as far as
I can recall.

Info
-Windows 7 Ultimate, 64bit - Version 6.1, build 7600
-VLC Mediaplayer 2.0.3
-Nvidia Driver 301.42

VLC is my goto-mediaplayer and I watch way too much movies to not have it working.
I'd really appreciate any help!

edwardw
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna
VLC version: 3.0.0-git

Re: VLC suddenly doesn't launch anymore

Postby edwardw » 12 Aug 2012 02:41

Try completely uninstalling and re-installing VLC, and reset your preferences: http://wiki.videolan.org/How_to_delete_ ... _and_cache

Also check your computer for malware that may be interfering.

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”