No Interface on my VLC Player

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
JNew1979
New Cone
New Cone

No Interface on my VLC Player

Postby JNew1979 » 05 Jul 2012 01:16

I just reinstalled VLC to the latest upgrade and when I went to double click the icon on the desktop, it did not open a vlc player as it had in the past. The only way I can open a video file is to find the actual file and double click it or drag the file to the VLC shortcut icon on my desktop. Furthermore, when the video does open, there is no interface (no menu option, no play, pause buttons, etc.). Just the file plays. I cant right click on it to get any options or settings or anything like that either. When the files finishes playing, the window just disappears. Can any help me with this? How do I get my play, pause buttons back along with my "file", "view" etc drop down menus???

Please advise. Thank you.

Btw, I have Windows XP, if that matters. It's an old computer.

Lotesdelere
Cone Master
Cone Master

Re: No Interface on my VLC Player

Postby Lotesdelere » 05 Jul 2012 09:31

Exit VLC and delete the whole %appdata%\vlc folder.

JNew1979
New Cone
New Cone

Postby JNew1979 » 05 Jul 2012 15:23

Where is this folder located? I've tried deleting VLC through my "Remove Programs" icon in my control panels and then reinstalling and I get the same result. Are there other folders I need to delete besides the ones that are automatically removed by the program before installing the update?

edwardw
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna
VLC version: 3.0.0-git

Postby edwardw » 05 Jul 2012 21:11

Where is this folder located? I've tried deleting VLC through my "Remove Programs" icon in my control panels and then reinstalling and I get the same result. Are there other folders I need to delete besides the ones that are automatically removed by the program before installing the update?
Open Windows Explorer, type in "%appdata%\vlc" (no quotation marks) into the Address Bar, and delete everything.

JNew1979
New Cone
New Cone

Postby JNew1979 » 06 Jul 2012 00:07

It says "Windows cannot find 'C:/Documents and Settings/HP_Administrator/Application Data/vlc. Check the spelling and try again." I opened internet explorer and put what you suggested in the address bar. No luck. Any more suggestions??

Lotesdelere
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby Lotesdelere » 06 Jul 2012 08:53

In the Explorer menu Tools -> Folder Options make sure to tick the "Show Hidden Files and Folders" option and also to untick the "Hide Protected System Files" one, click on Apply, then try again.

JNew1979
New Cone
New Cone

Postby JNew1979 » 06 Jul 2012 16:31

I dont see "Folder Options" or anything else after that. Are you talking about me opening my web browser (Windows Internet Explorer) and the looking under the tools menu?

edwardw
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna
VLC version: 3.0.0-git

Postby edwardw » 06 Jul 2012 20:28

Are you talking about me opening my web browser (Windows Internet Explorer)
No. We are talking about Windows Explorer, the file browser of Windows, not Internet Explorer.

JNew1979
New Cone
New Cone

Postby JNew1979 » 06 Jul 2012 22:47

Ok I tried that and it still said it could not find it. I unclicked what you told me too as well. Are there any other methods that you know of for how to restore my VLC player to normal? Sorry for being a pain in the ass and thank you for your help thus far.

JNew1979
New Cone
New Cone

No Play/Pause Buttons on my VLC Player after update

Postby JNew1979 » 08 Jul 2012 04:57

I just reinstalled VLC to the latest upgrade and when I went to double click the icon on the desktop, it did not open a vlc player as it had in the past. The only way I can open a video file is to find the actual file and double click it or drag the file to the VLC shortcut icon on my desktop. Furthermore, when the video does open, there is no interface (no menu option, no play, pause buttons, etc.). Just the file plays. I cant right click on it to get any options or settings or anything like that either. When the files finishes playing, the window just disappears. Can any help me with this? How do I get my play, pause buttons back along with my "file", "view" etc drop down menus???

Please advise. Thank you.

Btw, I have Windows XP, if that matters. It's an old computer.

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”