No video playback on different computer

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
MaryJones
New Cone
New Cone

No video playback on different computer

Postby MaryJones » 18 Jun 2012 03:51

Hi,

I have searched the forums for similar type problems, but nothing I've read has worked so far. Apologies if the answer exists and I've not been able to find it.

I created a video using Cyberlink Power Director. The source of the video was a Sony Handycam. After editing the footage, I created both a .mpg and a .mp4 output videos.

I have used VLC for years without any problems whatsoever. I've always just installed it and it just works, and as expected, these two videos play absolutely fine.
Other people I have sent the videos to have reported no problems, so I know the video files themselves are fine.

However, the video's did not play on my grandfathers PC. I remote connected to his computer and downloaded & installed the latest version of VLC (2.0.1).

Unfortunately VLC on his PC is only giving audio output. The video shows random dots here and there...nothing resembling the true video.

He does not have a flash computer with wierd hardware...it's just a standard PC with onboard SIS video. For information, he is running Windows XP, 1GB ram.

If anyone could help with suggesting why these videos do not work on his PC and how I might be able to fix it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Mary.

nkoriyama
Cone that earned his stripes
Cone that earned his stripes
VLC version: git
Operating System: Windows / Mac OS X

Re: No video playback on different computer

Postby nkoriyama » 18 Jun 2012 05:54

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
My hack for ISDB-T http://sdrv.ms/126weue

MaryJones
New Cone
New Cone

Re: No video playback on different computer

Postby MaryJones » 18 Jun 2012 09:47

Thank you for your post nkoriyama.

I went to the SIS website and manually updated the display drivers and this appears to have fixed the problem. Seems the Windows Update function didn't look after this (which I assumed it had).

Thanks again,

Mary.

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”